Insert in a Heatform

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
MO
Hello, I'm new here and just bought a house with a heatform fireplace and still trying to figure out how the fans are wired but I would like to put an insert in it . Forgive me for the questions I'm Judy trying to learn and firgure out what's best for my budget and whats safest. have read where some people cut out the heat exchange tubes to reline the chimney, I have also read some people putting a block off plate below the tubes and not cutting anything out and I am assuming not relining. Is this safe, if so could someone show me some pics of their set up if they left the pipes and didn't reline? Where would the soot go when brushing out the chimney if the insert and change chimney isn't directly connected?

Very good question. I highly recommend to cut out the burn tubes and run a full insulated liner to the top of the chimney. It will be much safer, your insert will operate better, and cleaning will be much easier.

What is your budget? If you want some recommendations we would need the size of the fireplace, area to be heated and insulation of the house. A pic of the fireplace would also help.

House was built in the 70's, tri level with just shy of 1800sq ft. Fireplace is on the main level . House seems to be insulated well, I'm not sure of the rating on the insulation in the home though. I will have to take and pics of it. All I know is that it is a heatform according to other pics of heatforms and it has a gas pipe running into the box for liting purposes which will be capped. My budget is low enough I will be buying a used unit for an extremely good price when I find one. I don't have 2k to put into a unit at the moment. Might have to wait for spring if I really need the liner.

Yeah Sorry to say but you really need the liner

Status
Not open for further replies.