Insert in Factory Built Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

andrewdcaudle

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I have a Majestic Fireplaces SHR48 factory built fireplace that I am looking to install an insert in. I am leaning towards an Osburn 2400i. I just wanted to see if anyone saw any issues with this potential setup, or had any better recommendations before I proceeded.

I have a fairly open floor plan 2300 SF house located in Alabama. The fireplace is located in a 25x25 living room with a cathedral ceiling. The house does not seem to retain it's heat very well.

Factory built fireplace manual. http://kirklandfireplace.com/TechInfo/Manuals/Majestic_Superhearth_Series.pdf

There are a couple issues with this choice. First, the Majestic manual specifically states "Do not install a solid fuel burning insert or other products not specified for use with this fireplace." As far as I can tell from the manual the Osburn 2400i is for masonry fireplaces installation only. Take a look at the Lopi Revere. It specifically lists Majestic as manufacturer acceptable for this insert. Quadrafire and PE inserts are also approved for ZC installation but do not list approved manufacturers.

Last edited:
But if the fireplace specifically says you cant do it the only way you can is to get the manufacturer to give you an amendment to the manual in writing.