Insert into a prefab....newb w/pics...long post

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing the FPX is going to be a little more than $700. ;-)

I really like the looks of both the Enviro and FPX stoves, but according to the brochures on both of their websites, neither will fit. There is no local Enviro dealer, and that's a shame because I'd like to see them. On all of there insert's they call for a height of 19.25 inches for masonary, but a height of 20 inches for zero clearance. I don't quite understand this since I know the stove dimensions doesn't change. The FPX calls for a at least a 21.5 height for either masonary or ZC metal fireplaces. So it's out no matter what. The Regency I1200 will fit, but for a 1.4 cu ft fire box and a 1000 sq ft room rating, it seems a bit pricey to be in the $1800 range. The ArchGard 1600I will fit, and I have a dealer about 2 hours away. They gave me price of $1399, but didn't tell me what that included, surround and so forth. But they also said to cut the bottom of the prefab unit out so that the stove would set flush on the hearth. With the ArchGard inserted to it's maximum depth, it would stick out past the fireplace opening over 8 inches. I'm curious what that would look like and or if it could be a problem. I'm also having a real hard time finding anything out about ArchGard. Nobody seems to know much about them.

http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/I1200.aspx

http://archgard.com/uploads/pdfs/45_ArchgardChalet1600IwoodInsertliterature.pdf

The ArchGard 1600I will fit, and I have a dealer about 2 hours away. They gave me price of $1399, but didn't tell me what that included, surround and so forth. But they also said to cut the bottom of the prefab unit out so that the stove would set flush on the hearth. With the ArchGard inserted to it's maximum depth, it would stick out past the fireplace opening over 8 inches. I'm curious what that would look like and or if it could be a problem. I'm also having a real hard time finding anything out about ArchGard. Nobody seems to know much about them.

Surprised a dealer would say to cut or alter the ZC box like that. I don't know much about that stove but from what I know and have seen with my Avalon ZC insert I would not alter the box knowing what a ZC box is. These insert can get up and over 500 degrees easy. Check out the Avalon line they are pricey but the heat I get is well worth the price it gives, even with a small box. Better then 10k to Rip out the ZC.
MD

I can't believe anybody would cut the bottom out a pre-fab! There is nothing under there for protection, that OSB subfloor sure won't offer much protection.

kcuhcsniknej said:
Unfortunately, you only get one shot at burning the place down. I would be be scared too if I were you, is the princess approved for a pre-fab install? How did he get the liner hooked up? There is rarely room to get your hands around an insert in a pre-fab, with the angled outlet on the princess, it would not be easy in such a small space,

The Princess 1010A insert is approved for original pre fab that are UL 127 approved, which i have discovered mine is not. The reason for cutting out the floor was to provide room at the top to lower the 6 in liner down, flexible tube, bend it and attach to the insert exhaust.
How much of the floor is missing?

The only reason I even enertained the idea of cutting the bottom out of mine was I know it's on a concrete floor with concrete cinder blocks behind it. Other than the wood frame and drywall around the front, it's only concrete. The installers who recomended doing it also said they'd put stove board down, put a ceramic wrap around the stove, and use high temp caulk around all the seams. I still didn't like the idea of it and am not going to do it. And I would have laughed at them if it had been on a wood floor.

I called on the Archgard 1600I and it's $1899 with surround. Still out of my price range. As you guys can tell, I'm on a very strict budget. I did find a 2 year old Quadra-Fire 2700I for $995 asking price. Said they would negotiate, but it's over 6 hours away. Looking at Quadra-Fire's website, I think the 2700I will fit, since my hearth is not flush my opening. I really like the looks of the 2700I, but with it being as far away as it is, I don't know if it's worth it or not. The wife is really not for all of it, so thus the very limited budget. I'm just tired of a $600 electric bill in the winter. I guess now I'm debating if the Buck 18 will really suppliment my heat pump all that much.

As far as a chimney liner goes, does anyone know of a better deal(or am missing something that makes this not a good deal) than this kit I found on ebay. I figured on this liner with some Roxul to seal the bottom of the chi,eny, probably where the damper is now, and some more around the top of the chimney, under the raincap plate. Any other suggestions? Oh, and thanks for the help, I'm really enjoying the forum. I'll post some pics of the top of my chimney tonight.

jc5922 said:
The only reason I even enertained the idea of cutting the bottom out of mine was I know it's on a concrete floor with concrete cinder blocks behind it. Other than the wood frame and drywall around the front, it's only concrete. The installers who recomended doing it also said they'd put stove board down, put a ceramic wrap around the stove, and use high temp caulk around all the seams. I still didn't like the idea of it and am not going to do it. And I would have laughed at them if it had been on a wood floor.

I called on the Archgard 1600I and it's $1899 with surround. Still out of my price range. As you guys can tell, I'm on a very strict budget. I did find a 2 year old Quadra-Fire 2700I for $995 asking price. Said they would negotiate, but it's over 6 hours away. Looking at Quadra-Fire's website, I think the 2700I will fit, since my hearth is not flush my opening. I really like the looks of the 2700I, but with it being as far away as it is, I don't know if it's worth it or not. The wife is really not for all of it, so thus the very limited budget. I'm just tired of a $600 electric bill in the winter. I guess now I'm debating if the Buck 18 will really suppliment my heat pump all that much.

As far as a chimney liner goes, does anyone know of a better deal(or am missing something that makes this not a good deal) than this kit I found on ebay. I figured on this liner with some Roxul to seal the bottom of the chi,eny, probably where the damper is now, and some more around the top of the chimney, under the raincap plate. Any other suggestions? Oh, and thanks for the help, I'm really enjoying the forum. I'll post some pics of the top of my chimney tonight.
I believe that the entire liner is to be insulated, in order to meet code in pre-fab installations.

I'm a newbie, and this is question has a bit to do with my own install.

Can't you use a free standing (I'm considering a hearthstone Homestead) stove instead of an insert, and use the existing chimney as a sleeve for a new chimney with a Tee for a clean out inside the prefab?

This would give you more heating because you can use a larger unit than an insert that fits inside, or am I wrong and this isn't allowed???

This would also allow you to leave the facade as is, but you would need to add a hearth extension, providing the floor material already has the proper R-Value rating.

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.