Insert or hearth stove considerations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timonkey

Dec 12, 2013
NE
I'm considering getting a wood burning insert or hearth stove for one of my two fireplaces for my new-to-me house to displace use the oil-fueled boiler. The house is two stories, approximately 2600 sq ft total, from the 1970's in New England. The fireplaces are basically at opposite ends of the L-ish shaped house, with the foot of the L having no second story. I'd like input on location and what to get (or what to consider about what to get). Some more details below:

The fireplace in the living room is has a second story above it, actually has furniture in it, and has a chimney that runs along the outside of the house to the peak of the roof. The fireplace in the family room actually has a wood stove in it right now, which I believe is installed illegally because it is very large. The brick underneath extends maybe a couple inches past the front of it. The family room has no second story above it and it's chimney extends above the second story windows, but not above the top of the house. This chimney is also insulated from the outside by an unheated attached garage. This room is currently empty, but I may reconsider due to getting better light in winter, or I may want to use the sun room which is off from this room. The chimney here is shared with the oil boiler. Both brick fireplaces seem the same size: about 32.5" wide x 26.5" tall opening in front with a 16.5" deep 7.5" tall brick shelf in front.

I think eventually I'd like to get something good for wood burning in both locations, but let's tackle which to do first. I'm leaning towards installing in the living room because it's below the second story, so more heat may stay in the house and be able to heat more of the house. Also, the chimney is taller and may work better.

In terms of hearth stove vs. insert, will a hearth stove do a much better job at radiating heat without a fan? It seems like you're going to get less stove size for the same opening for a hearth stove. I may want some fan system for better distribution, but I'd like reasonable backup heat for times without power if possible.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

I have an insert and wish I could put a free stander in there . You will get more radiant heat with the free stander. You can point fans towards the stove to drive out heat , or rig something up.

A lot to cover but (and I say this as an insert owner) you will get more heat from a free standing stove. On the other hand my insert heats my home and does not run me out of the room. This is due in large part to my layout but I'm convinced I could not use the room I have the stove in half the time if it was a free standing. I've come to appreciate this since I can happily run my stove and the rooms become comfortable but not overly hot and dry. Tonight is in the teens and my furnace has not been on. The stove room is 70-74, upstairs 68-72 and bedrooms 64 or so.

All that said, if my layout allowed for a free standing stove I would have one. If you go insert and can do it, go for one that extends onto the hearth if possible and you will get more heat. I went with a flush mount due to the layout of the room (extension onto the hearth would have required a floor protector so was a no go) and aesthetics.

A picture of your layout would help greatly but one thing to consider, an interior chimney as opposed to one on an outside wall is more desirable. You get the advantage of thermal mass and because it remains warmer it will be easier to keep the creosote at bay. Air can be moved around with a small fan or two. Post a diagram and you will get much input and advice here.

With that size fireplace you might be able to get a bigger insert than a free stander. With a free stander you're limited to rear vent and your opening is not that high. You can check the Woodstock Progress Hybrid's dimensions to see what height the flue is.
A couple more things we need to know is the size of your hearth because you need to meet requirements and the size of your flue to see if you have to stick with a 6 inch or can go with an 8 inch liner. For example the Buck 91 is a big insert but you need an 8 inch flue.

I put my Jotul f100 all the way in the fireplace with the flue pipe coming straight out the top vent, I get good radiant plus convection without a fan. It has back and rear heat shields but I wouldn't think it will work well if the chimney is on the outside of the house

Status
Not open for further replies.