Q&A Insert Panels Covering air vents of prefab?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a pre-fab metal Heatilator fireplace that has vents above and below the firebox. I would like to install a wood insert. I've received conflicting information from 2 dealers. One says the vents have to remain open and can not be covered with the surround panels. The other says a wood insert can be installed and the vents covered. Anyone have experience with this problem? Thanks.

Answer:

The bottom line here is that both could be correct. To insure that you are doing what is safe, get a hold of the Insert's installation instructions and read them prior to purchasing and/or installing. They will instruct as to what can be done safely. Most of the inserts that I carry in my store allow the vents to be covered with the insert surround, which still allows for some air circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.