Insert surround won't fill the fireplace height space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
So I believe we will be getting the insert below, a Lopi. Lopi surrounds come in three sizes, 8", 10", or 12".
My fireplace measures 32" H by 36" wide. The insert is only 19.75" tall, so if I get the 12" surround it would still be just shy of the fireplace height. So there would be a little gap there. Anyone ever run into that problem?

We will need a mantel shield on the top of the surround to shield the bottom trim that will be a foot or so above the surround, so could the mantel shield hide the gap, or is it important to have an actual seal there on the back of the surround? If I raise the surround, it will create gaps on the bottom of the surround as well as on top of the stove, so I am not sure that would be a good way to go either.

And possibly also problematic is that my outside trim on the sides would only end up maybe 1/2" outside that 12" on the sides. That might be OK but I am not sure - is it too close? We are within 1/4" of the side clearances on this trim, so it will be very close.

106972.jpg

Also, am I the only one who notices that many of these stoves and inserts are not installed per their own specs? They frequently appear to violate clearances, particularly the ones in front of the stoves! Can't tell for sure but they seem to! Case in point, the top plate of this stove is under 19" tall. The mantel trim should be 28.5" over that if it is unshielded. Does this image look like the distance above that stove is 10" taller than doubling the stove height? I bet not! Sheesh.

Bet ya a dollar that image is Photoshopped in.

Extending a surround is common. The easiest way is to add a stiff sheetmetal extension painted matching black.

My Revere measures a little over 20" tall. That's from the top of the surround where the air comes out. I thought they had a 14" version. Anyway, My fireplace has a nice arch which looks good but hard to cover. I opted to not purchase the surround (Got mine used and it didn't come with it) because of the hassle and extra expense and it wouldn't fit. You can see my stove on my avatar. It's not too bad without it but it looked bad until I cut a piece of black stove pipe to put around my stainless liner. I think you'll be pleased with the lopi.

Are you installing a liner with this? If so then I wouldn't worry about your gap. Be sure to go ahead and make a blockoff plate for it, especially with a gap. If you aren't going to go with a liner then you will need a complete seal with even that tape/insulation stuff. Even then, I wouldn't do it, These burn so good with a liner. It's expensive, but worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.