INSERT TO REPLACE TEMCO FIREPLACE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
Hi,
I have not been on here in a while. But I am still looking for a fireplace insert replacement:

I currently have a TEMCO 36" LOUVERED fireplace(http://temcofireplace.com/html/tlc36-3.html) with outside vent. Fireplace is in the greatroom of our loghome 20'x30' w/20' open ceiling. The fireplace is on the exterior wall center with floor to ceiling stone work. Fireplace has an 8" double wall chimney system. I guess this is considered a prefab fireplace.

I am seeking some recommendations on a fireplace insert replacement that would give me more heat and efficiency. Also since I already have doublewall chimney installed would I need to have a stainless steel chimney liner put in with a new firepalce insert.

Thank you for your assistance.
Tony

I found the manual for alot of the Temco wood burners, the manual specially states you cannot put an insert into this fireplace. (As is the case with a good percentage of the prefab/Zero Clearance Fireplaces)

So your only option is to tear it out and replace it completely.

Interestingly that looks suspiciously like a Vermont Castings/Majestic "Royal Warm", I wonder if VC bought out Temco?

Anyhow, it looks like the chimney used here is no longer used for anything else, and all except one model of Zero Clearance fireplace requires the use of new chimney pipe.
Probably not the news you were hoping for, but, alas, such is life.

Cheer up, I tore out my old ZC and replaced it with a new efficient EPA stove. It can be done, somewhat cost effectively, somewhat.

Or, you could put a wood stove outside of it and connect the stove to a liner up thru your existing chimney.

My understanding was Temco zc fireplaces were approved for inserts. I have a Temtex (sp)? zc 36" fireplace that I understand were bought out by Temco that I put a Regency I2400 insert in. And yes, you will need a ss liner inside your old pipe all the way from the stove to the chimney top.

I was just going by what was in the manual for that Temco fireplace. It says, specifically, this unit is not designed for an insert.

On page 16:
20. WARNING: THIS FIREPLACE IS NOT INTENDED TO
BE USED WITH ANY COMPONENTS OTHER THAN
THOSE SPECIFIED IN THIS MANUAL (i.e.FIREPLACE
INSERTS, BLOWERS, GLASS DOOR EXTENSIONS,
HEAT CIRCULATORS). USE OF THESE ITEMS
COULD RESULT IN A SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD.

Status
Not open for further replies.