Inserted Catalyst Thermometer vs. Magnetic Surface Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
Here is an image of an inserted catalyst thermometer that has a temperature scale shown on the dial. Can this take the place of a magnetic, surface mounter thermometer? Or, should I invest in a magnetic surface mounted thermometer? If so, why?

Attachments

• Cat Therm.jpg
    Cat Therm.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 708
if you have a "cat " stove and it has a port available to use one , get a cat stat (like the condar you pictured) if not then either that stat mounted in the flue just above the collar9which i did with my cat stove and saw similar temps consistantly) or a skin stat would do fine

I certainly wasn't very clear in what I was looking for with my original post. This being my first year burning, I'm trying to get things lined up correctly before the season hits.

I have a Blaze King, which has a port for inserting a catalytic thermometer. But, the thermometer supplied by Blaze King does not have a temperature scale on it...just active and inactive ranges. Is this adequate, or should I go with some other set-up?

So, I guess the question really is, which is best:
1. thermometer supplied by Blaze King...no temperature scale
2. thermometer as shown in the above pic...with temperature scale
3. magnetic surface thermometer
4. some combination of the above options

I wish more were that simplistic! I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the blaze king one you mentioned so I'd be fine.

I think of it like a temp gauge in a car. Some have numbers some do not. Is it really necessary to know the car is at 196 degrees? Or is it being in the middle of the "normal" range adequate.

pen

Well, that's kind of what I was thinking.

Since the BK has the thermostatic air control, what need is there for a stove top thermometer...

I'm thinking, engage the cat when the BK thermometer is showing in the active zone. Then, set the T'stat where I feel comfortable...no manual control of the air, so no need to reference the stove top temperature.

So, I'm thinking just keep what came with the stove and don't worry about anything else...but, I'm new and what to make sure I'm thinking correctly.

I still think it's a good idea to use a surface stove top thermometer just to give you an extra tool to gage how your stove is burning.

Out of the gazillion Blaze King posts this is the first one that made me realize that there is no primary air control on a Blaze King other than the stat.

I was thinking of getting a condor for my BK too, I was just going to insert the condor into the slot where I have the stock thermo.

Todd said:
I still think it's a good idea to use a surface stove top thermometer just to give you an extra tool to gage how your stove is burning.

Agreed. Which is why I have 3 thermometers on my stove~! However, I still laugh at the actual values (as given numerically) as I don't believe them. I'd rather a "ROYGBIV" sort of scale w/ a thermometer that I could learn to interpret w/out letting those pesky numbers make us get so incredibly precise when precision/consistency isn't possible. An overall gauge or understanding is all that should be learned/judged. It's too hard to compare the many stove / many installations in the world w/ a value of XXX being too hot or too cold.

Yet, our thermometer manufacturers do just that.

I think there are people who think they are burning correctly or poorly when in fact they aren't all as a result of thermometer placement then trying to generalize off of the values present

I think that makes sense, if not, Id like to thank the cabernet.

pen

Yeah "Cold", "Lookin Good" and "911" would probably do fine.

OK, if I add the surface thermometer to the stove, and keep the BK catalyst thermometer inserted into it's port...the BK catalyst thermometer will tell me when the cat is active, but I'm not sure how I could use/reference the stove top thermometer.

What kind of performance would I be looking for on the stove top thermometer?
If it is not showing something that it should, what can I do about it? The primary air is controlled by the T'stat, so it is what it is...not much I can do about it.

I realize the stove top thermometers are not that expensive, but if it is not going to help me burn any better, is it really going to be all that useful.

Or am I over analyzing this?

The t-stat is a great feature but just because you have it set on a certain number doesn't mean you will always get the same output. Many vairiables in wood burning, that's where a stove top thermometer will help tell you if you need to turn the t-stat up or down.

If I had a Blaze King I would replace the stock probe and get one with numbers and also have a surface stove top and another for the pipe, but I'm more anal about temps.

With my stove, the CAT temp doesn't always correlate with the surface temperature. I always control my stove to run the CAT at no more than 1500F, and usually try to maintain it at 1000F - or less. This has extended the life of my CAT and the surrounding refractory. It is very easy to run the CAT at 1500+ and not know it, unless you have a CAT outlet temp. With my stove, the surface temp lags CAT temp during the loading and power up phase.

BLIMP said:
isnt the cat active when it glows?

Yes, but the thermostat lets you know when the firebox temperature is high enough for the cat to light off...letting you know when it is time to close the bypass.

Todd said:
If I had a Blaze King I would replace the stock probe and get one with numbers and also have a surface stove top and another for the pipe, but I'm more anal about temps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the BK, the catalyst thermometer is inserted into a port on the top of the stove, measuring the temperature on the leaving side of the catalyst. Therefore, wouldn't this temperature be close to the same as the temperature in the pipe? I realize the temperature in the pipe is likely to be a little cooler, and will continue to cool more as it rising within the pipe. But, it seems redundant to have the catalyst thermometer inserted in the top of the stove and a thermometer inserted in the pipe...or am I missing something?

fdegree said:
Todd said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the BK, the catalyst thermometer is inserted into a port on the top of the stove, measuring the temperature on the leaving side of the catalyst. Therefore, wouldn't this temperature be close to the same as the temperature in the pipe? I realize the temperature in the pipe is likely to be a little cooler, and will continue to cool more as it rising within the pipe. But, it seems redundant to have the catalyst thermometer inserted in the top of the stove and a thermometer inserted in the pipe...or am I missing something?

Your right, you could use the pipe temps as a guide for engaging the cat. It works well for me cuz there is a lag time for the mass of the soapstone to react to temps. I find myself watching the stack temp more than the surface while reloading and cold starts. Stack temps can also easily sore into the red while in bypass mode so it's good to keep an eye on it. After engaging the cat the stack temps should drop dramatically and stove temp should climb.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah "Cold", "Lookin Good" and "911" would probably do fine.

HehHeh . . . made me laugh a bit. :) . . . but very true.

weatherguy said:
I was thinking of getting a condor for my BK too, I was just going to insert the condor into the slot where I have the stock thermo.

Lord forgive me for this one, but I cannot help myself.

Good luck inserting this guy into the slot . . . on the flip side with his good eye sight you will probably have no problem with him reading the temp.

Attachments

• condor.jpg
    condor.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 391
Status
Not open for further replies.