Inserts for Extremely Shallow fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwright1542

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
I'm new to the forum, and hope I can get some direction on my quest for new inserts.

We have just purchases a house build in 1855 which has several fireplaces that we would like to ressurect. 4 out of the 6 are 4" deep!

3 of the 4 shallow ones have iron covers that are ornately vented, and there are 2 hooks mounted inside, I assume to hold a coal basket?

1 of them has an iron grate that comes out in a semicircle about 9", and there is a metal hood over that which slips into the tops of the fireplace and covers the grate.

Does anyone have any ideas on a retrofit for these mini-fireplaces? I've called many suppliers already and most require 9" or space.

I can provide photos of anyone needs them.

Thanks for any info,

Darren Wright

They sound like interesting fireplaces... I think I've seen something similar re-fabbed on an old season of This Old House. Its a round back to the fireplace with an almost arched like opening. Not flat surfaces in the fireplace at all.

I might look into just putting a wood stove in front of them and venting it up the existing chimney. There are plenty of smaller stand-alone wood stoves that could probably be placed in front (after extending the hearth appropriately, of course.) I'm no expert, but I'm sure they'll be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong.

But pics would definitely help.

Eric

Hearthstone Homestead. So shallow it sits on the hearth.

I'll clarify a bit more. We know these were coal burning fireplaces, and we'd like to replace them with gas inserts not wood stoves. This really isn't for heat...
it is just an ambiance addition.

Gascoals was the first place I contacted, but they need 7.5" pf depth.

Thanks for the suggestions....I'm still researching. Here are some pictures...

Attachments

• Inserts for Extremely Shallow fireplaces
    IMG_0008.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 852
Status
Not open for further replies.