inside single wall heat shield? INSTALLERS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lethal dose

Jan 10, 2011
eastern ohio
is 24-26 guage single wall off the flue collar a-ok on an epa stove? gonna pass through a wooden wall with a simpson pass through kit to triple wall out and up. also, stove is in cellar... there will be about 6"clearance between single wall and joists... how hot will the single wall get? thinking about spacing sheet metal about 1" from ceiling to dissipate the heat.

24 ga, It will get very hot, particularly on a horiz. run. Use double wall pipe.

Double wall up and out or just out off the 90 degree? How close can I be to joists with double wall? Also, how hot can the stack inside to the thimble get?

single wall pipe requires 18" clearance to combustibles.. double wall is 6" (for the most part)... If you keep the single wall far enough away, then go into your insulated pass thru (2" clearance) then you should be fine. I'd stay away from 26g pipe.. It's pretty light, and needs to be blued steel to be able to attach to a woodburning device. Most mfgs list 26g blued steel or 24g black as the minimum required pipe.

Is there something I can use to protect the joists from the single wall? And... who carries double wall for flue collar up and out?

now i'm thoroughly confused. you said the insulated pass through must have 2" clearance from a combustible? how is this possible if you're passing through a wooden wall? the thimble is IN the wall.

This is one place where a dollar saved can lead to thousands lost. It's not a place for shortcuts. In the case of a chimney fire the temp inside the pipe can be well over 1000F. Do it right.

Here's a good place to start. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

As long as you are using a good quality system that is designed to maintain proper clearances and the manufacturers installation instructions are followed, it should be ok. The class A pipe will be what is passing through the wall from the tee. It needs to extend into the room at least 6". What brand of pipe is being installed? Can you post a shot of the location in question?

it is simpson duravent. the instructions are HORRIBLE. the way it looks, the thimble is recessed in the wall and the class a pipe passes through. the only thing extending into the room is the snap lock adapter which the stove pipe will attach to. i'll try to get some pics posted. if the wall thimble isn't supposed to be IN the wall, how is the class a supported in the wall? it looks to me that the thimble sits in the wall. i have no problem spending $. it's well worth it. besides... buy once, cry once.

Great. Good to know that you want to do it right. That is why I say go with double-wall DVL connector pipe for the interior. The clearances are close so make it as safe as possible.

The class A thimble is just a piece of regular class pipe that locks in place and is supported by the tee. It needs to be long enough to protrude in the room 6", regardless of wall thickness. I'm wondering if you have the correct docs for this. Go to this site and scroll down the page to the PDF instructions. Choose DuraTech 5"-8". http://www.duravent.com/?page=ts.php Here are a couple shots illustrating the installation:

Attachments

• duratech wall thimble1.jpg
    duratech wall thimble1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,217
  • duratech wall thimble2.jpg
    duratech wall thimble2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,721
you can see here that we knocked a window out, framed it, then covered it in plywood (mocking a wall). we then cut a hole in either side, placed the flange on the outside, attached the class a pass through to the "t" section and then placed it in the hole. it is perfect on the outside, but (as you can see), the only thing sticking out in the room is part of the thimble and the snap lock adapter.

Attachments

• woodstove 001.jpg
    woodstove 001.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 428
i do have figure 24 in my instructions. very similar but my instructions show no shield extension, no wall thimble plate cover, and no finishing collar. there is a thimble flange outside that the class a passes through then the class a connects to a chimney adapter on the back of the snap lock you see protruding.

Bear with me, I'm having a hard time understanding the Simpson parts used here. What is the large round piece going through the wood? Do you have a part number? It looks like the backside of a round ceiling support box.

Got it. That is a DuraPlus part 9043N. Here are the proper instructions. http://www.northlineexpress.com/Images/Pdf/DuraPlusInstallationInstructions.pdf. It looks like the main decision is whether to go double-wall connector. If so, the DVL adapter required is listed as part #8674.

If single wall, a heat shield is needed. Installers please correct this if it is in error. My understanding is that it should be non-combustible, suspended 1" from the joists with non-combustible spacers, open on the ends for easy air passage and sized to exceed the pipe dimensions in all directions by at least 6". Drywall is not suitable, but sheet metal or true cement board is.

lethal dose said:
is 24-26 guage single wall off the flue collar a-ok on an epa stove? gonna pass through a wooden wall with a simpson pass through kit to triple wall out and up. also, stove is in cellar... there will be about 6"clearance between single wall and joists... how hot will the single wall get? thinking about spacing sheet metal about 1" from ceiling to dissipate the heat.
read the last part, green. was going to use 1" tube above my single wall.

i guess it does look like i might be on the right track, no? boy, i sure hope so. thanks for the advice, green. hopefully an installer will chime in, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.