Inside Wood Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RomanW

Hey everyone, looking for ideas for storing a small amount of wood inside for the 'Ol Stove. I've seen a couple sweet setups using shelving or the usual log holder and such. Would love to see what everyone has! Reply with pictures!

This woodbox helps to keep the sawdust, bark chips etc. off the floor. Filled vertically it makes it easy to pick the piece you want. It’s on wheels and has a cover. It slides under a table. 0C1E635E-9094-42AF-9FD4-C516538C5228.jpeg

A pic downloaded from the web.
I found one like this at the trash. Brought it in. Fits one load per cube. That's next to my stove, so I always have 4 loads at room temp. Depending on the season I keep 1/3 or 2/2 loads.ofnhaed and softwoods.
1665098659619.png

Reactions: RomanW and Bobbob
I keep about 2 weeks worth in the garage on two separate racks. Only bring in a 5 gallon bucket full when it's time to fill the stove. The wife is deathly afraid of spiders, so it's my best option. I don't mind cause it does keep all the mess outside

Reactions: RomanW
Not a wood stove but I built this storage when I finished our basement and it’s really nice to have almost a weeks worth inside. Problem I have is I like the way it looks full so I constantly fill it back up and it doesn’t save me that many trips 😂

4D4A566F-FF99-4154-A5A4-6D275BC305E8.jpeg

I have lots of bugs in my wood, and don't like bringing them in to warm up and start moving around, so mostly I leave the wood on one of those chrome utility shelves on the porch by the front door (I can go grab more logs without changing out of my slippers, so it's almost inside). I do have a metal bin with a lid that I'll sometimes use for pre-heating one load of wood at a time (a moth or two sometimes escapes when I open the lid, but nothing too bad, and I can go shake the rest out outside when I refill it).

IMO the fewer times you have to transfer wood from one vessel to another, the better.

My wood flows from the street behind my house to the wood shed, then about 2ft by 4ft of stacked wood goes to the mudroom/covered back entryway staging area, then in a canvas bag to near the stove. Having the wood only in canvas bags inside the house prevents most of the mess.

IMO the fewer times you have to transfer wood from one vessel to another, the better.

My wood flows from the street behind my house to the wood shed, then about 2ft by 4ft of stacked wood goes to the mudroom/covered back entryway staging area, then in a canvas bag to near the stove. Having the wood only in canvas bags inside the house prevents most of the mess.

Just posted similar pic's to a similar request in another thread, last night. My system is simple, I'll describe below.

1. Fell and bring home 15' logs:

IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1678.JPG

2. Store logs, until needed:

IMG_4842.JPG IMG_4850.JPG

3. Process and stack the product for 3 summers:

IMG_3419.JPG IMG_7822.JPG

4. Load into wagon for retrieval outside my basement door:

IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1488.JPG

5. It typically gets used straight from this wagon, but if I need my wife to load the stove(s) while I'm away from home, I simply put a load in one of these copper boilers, kept next to each stove:

fl1 great 2.jpg office stove.jpg

I was able too pick up 2x2 x 36 inch long pieces of wood from work for free, so i brought 6 full boxes home.
Currently they are stored in a corner in my shed, planning on doing the same thing in the house, but with a nice set of doors in front.

20210926_114538.jpg

To carry wood into the house I use these:

They'll hold roughly 40 lbs of hardwood. Nearly all of the mess stays in the box. They're not the prettiest things but in a more subtle color than that pic they're not very noticeable.

I have most of my wood in modified IBC totes. I bring one up to the house with the tractor and drop it behind the garage. I carry the bins to the tote, load them up then stack them by the back door.

Agreed, that's basically what I'll have. Main pile, to storage outside the door, and then small storage beside the stove inside. It's funny, I was at a friends last night and they had a canvas bag. I kind of liked it

Reactions: Bobbob
I try to keep close to half a cord stacked in the garage, brush it off before stacking, pull off any loose stuff and throw in my kindling bin, place it in a canvas carrier (about 6-8 splits) and slide it under one of the chairs near the stove

I just use a Tractor Supply galvanized bucket inside. Outside near the room the wood stove is in I have a large 100 gallon garbage can with a lid that keeps a few days supply of wood dry and ready to refilling my bucket.

Reactions: Ashful and Bobbob
Agreed, that's basically what I'll have. Main pile, to storage outside the door, and then small storage beside the stove inside. It's funny, I was at a friends last night and they had a canvas bag. I kind of liked it

Yeah the canvas bag is nice but it doesnt stay open for easy loading. When it wears out I might have to learn some leatherworking and make a bag with leather sides that's stiff enough to stay open by itself.

Reactions: RomanW