Inspection on a used stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Sorry for all my topics as of late. What's a good way to inspect a used stove and what are some things to look out for. Thank tou

Sorry for all my topics as of late. What's a good way to inspect a used stove and what are some things to look out for. Thank tou
Look over everything for any warping or cracking. Take a straight edge to check the door and the face of the stove. Look for areas where the paint has turned white that is a sure sign of over firing

Is it an ok idea to buy used . He bought it in 1996 so it 23 years old
If it is in good condition at a good price the age is no big deal.

I have work on the price a little but from the pictures it's in good shape I'm going after work to look at t

Does it have a certification tag on the back?. Many insurance companies require a listed stove if its installed in covered home. The sticker will usually listed the output and required clearances. If its a welded stove look for obvious signss of overheating and thinning. A well built stove that was treated well be it plate or cast has plenty of years of life if its only 25 years old.