Inspection questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
Ok, now that the class A is on the way and I will be installing it soon, I have a couple questions to make sure I am ready for and pass inspection.

First, what defines an alcove installation? There are floor to ceiling shelves on either side of my stove, but they are only about 16" deep and the stove is almost all the way past them, maybe 4 inches of the stove is within that envelope. This one I wonder because of the side load door. I have 18" exactly from the side of the stove to the shelves.

I'll need to extend my floor protection to pass, I need a minimum of 55"Wx50"D. Right now the stove sits on a brick hearth about 8 inches off the floor that is 48"Wx43"D. Eventually I am going to add tiles around the brick when I redo the floors. The floor right now is laminate. I was thinking of just putting down some plywood and throwing some leftover 12x12" tiles on it to make it removable. Seems like it'd be a lot cheaper than buying/cutting up hearth pad to fit there. Is this a reasonable idea?

My last issue is if I use single wall pipe, which is what I'd like to do, I'm clear most of the way as my brick runs up to within 6" of the ceiling. Then there is a decorative wood beam that runs across there. So if I drop my ceiling box from the class A kit down to clear this do I still need 18"? If so can I just get a piece of shield to go over the beam?

Are there any other requirements that I'm not thinking of? My chimney should be fine on the 10-3-2 rule. From my ceiling to the roof peak is 70" Add at least 2 for the ceiling box to drop down, maybe more depending on the q above. So that leaves me with 6 feet. I ordered 3 36" sections which should give me 341/2" x3 = 103.5" which minus the 72" is 31.5 over the roof peak. And since I'm closer to the low edge than the high, I'm figuring I'll have 5-6 feet of chimney out of the roof line. I did order the roof support bracket as well. So this should give me overall from the floor of the stove about a 15 and a half foot chimney. Will I be ok with this? Minimum is 14 feet. I hope this sucker drafts after all this work and money!!

hedgeburner said:
what kind of chimney did you end up ordering and from where and $$$ ???

I ended up going with the duraplus triple wall. I got the through the roof kit from home depot on sale($135) and the single wall kit with slip fit adapter($20). I called every home depot within 50 miles, some of them twice ;-) No pipe.... So I ordered 3 36" pipes from northern tools along with a roof bracket, $305 with shipping. So all in all not too bad, cheaper than a liner and no 90 degree bends. I just hope it will be tall enough for proper draft. One thing I didn't like about the stove manual is that it didn't say where they measured chimney height from. They say less than 14' will cause draft problems, but they didn't say if they measured from the stove collar or the bottom of the stove. I'll end up with 13'6" from the top of the stove and almost 16' from the bottom of the stove. I do remember reading somewhere that a 90 degree bend was like losing 5 feet though. So hopefully it'll draft like crazy. One nice thing about the class A is that if it doesn't I can always add another piece. Thanks for the tip on northern tools!!

Before installing, you might want to speak with the inspector to see how literally he will take the manual's clearances if this is considered an alcove. 4" of the back of the stove in the envelope, close to combustibles is the same as 12" of the stove close to combustibles as far as the manual is concerned. As described, it doesn't seem like you have the side clearances necessary to use the side door. One thought would be to not center the stove in the alcove but bias it so that there is more space on the door side. Then maybe with heat shields on the bookcase sides....?

Status
Not open for further replies.