Install Complete - With Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mischinski

Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Eastern PA
Breckwell Big-E purchased summer 08 and installed Nov 08. First install was in the basement but did not work. This seems to work much better upstairs although weather has been rather warm here in PA. Setting of 2 or 3 should do the trick. I guess I should think of putting some fuel stabilizer in the oil tank.

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,520
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,542
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,538
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,560
Looks really good to me, but it doesn't require any sort of hearth?

Happy heating!

Steve

Just don't run that AC unit at the same time the stove is running!!! :bug: Happy burning. Looks nice.

I just installed a Quadra Fire Pellet Stove, and have included a photo.
I also built the the hearth with nice tile that I broke up into pieces.

Even though I am a few inches short, the recommended installation around
windows was 4'. I don't know why, but I read it in the book that came with
the stove, and also in the MN building codes.

I am still remodeling the rest of the house, so it probably looks like a mess.
I am getting ready to blog this whole remodeling project, as I have taken many
pictures, and there is lots more to come. The main theme is using barn wood.
I have pictures of the entire hearth building process. I haven't gotten everything
up on the blog yet, but if you want to get updated as to when it gets up there,
please send me an email. [email protected]

I have tested four different brands of wood pellets. Ashes are different,
clinkers are different. The last batch I bough gums up the
slider drawer to drop the ashes. I just wish I knew what I was burning before I
bought it. One of the stores in my small town are completely out of wood
pellets. I'm on a waiting list. They said that the economy has slowed down
and there is no saw dust to make wood pellets. The store that had pellets
sells the pellets that makes really dark ashes and gums up the slider do-thingy.

Anyway, I'm really interested in talking to, and reading others reviews about
pellet stoves and wood pellets. Thanks for reading....

Sandy

Attachments

• DSC08744.JPG
    DSC08744.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,442
Im not sure about the Glass Being safe unless it was something that had a R factor of over .08

I can see soot in your future.
Your direct vent install looks like it is going to be problematic in the future.

with TWO 90 bends (your T clean out and 90 deg then a crazy bend out side)

Nice looking stove, but I too have questions on the glass "hearth", and the flue ducting. Do you have to get the stove inspected by the town, or fire dept? If not and there was a fire, would the insurance company pay out once they found a pellet stove in the house w/ that set-up?

Maybe you already took care of these issues....just playing devils advocate.

Mark M what was the problem with the basement install I hear a few people have problems in basement installs?

I'm surprised with the weight of the stove that the glass hasn't broken or cracked.

Twig Lady said:
I just installed a Quadra Fire Pellet Stove, and have included a photo.
I also built the the hearth with nice tile that I broke up into pieces.

Even though I am a few inches short, the recommended installation around
windows was 4'. I don't know why, but I read it in the book that came with
the stove, and also in the MN building codes.

I am still remodeling the rest of the house, so it probably looks like a mess.
I am getting ready to blog this whole remodeling project, as I have taken many
pictures, and there is lots more to come. The main theme is using barn wood.
I have pictures of the entire hearth building process. I haven't gotten everything
up on the blog yet, but if you want to get updated as to when it gets up there,
please send me an email. [email protected]

I have tested four different brands of wood pellets. Ashes are different,
clinkers are different. The last batch I bough gums up the
slider drawer to drop the ashes. I just wish I knew what I was burning before I
bought it. One of the stores in my small town are completely out of wood
pellets. I'm on a waiting list. They said that the economy has slowed down
and there is no saw dust to make wood pellets. The store that had pellets
sells the pellets that makes really dark ashes and gums up the slider do-thingy.

Anyway, I'm really interested in talking to, and reading others reviews about
pellet stoves and wood pellets. Thanks for reading....

Sandy

Very nice sandy...looks good.

Looks great Mark, are the edges of the glass beveled. I might be concerned about cutting your feet on the edge of the glass.

Thanks all for the feedback - it is very valuable.

My basement install was a bust since it is not finished, and this point has been clearly made on this forum in several threads. Most bang for the buck will clearly come from an install near the living spaces.

Glass is pretty thick and tempered for heat - should not be a problem. I am a little confused with the concerns on the ducting. I followed the instructions from Breckwell and Simpson. Further feedback has been requested on what mistakes have been made.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark M said:
Thanks all for the feedback - it is very valuable.

My basement install was a bust since it is not finished, and this point has been clearly made on this forum in several threads. Most bang for the buck will clearly come from an install near the living spaces.

Glass is pretty thick and tempered for heat - should not be a problem. I am a little confused with the concerns on the ducting. I followed the instructions from Breckwell and Simpson. Further feedback has been requested on what mistakes have been made.

Thanks,

Mark

Glass is tempered for heat for breaking under heat stress.
But what is the R factor or K value of your GLASS hearth. of it to protect radiant heat from the floor.
One of the reasons for a hearth is to protect combustible service from heat. You have radiant heat coming off the front of the stove and this is ONE of the reasons they require 6-9" depending on pellet stove in front of the stove.

Venting
With the restriction you have with 2 turns in you pipe I see an issue with SMOKE back into the home WHEN the power goes out and your stove is running.
for it will not draft the smoke out naturally like a vertical venting would.

you will have Ash build up in the bends that are harder to clean out.

DONOTDIRCTVENT.jpg

nodirectvent2.jpg

[I’m surprised with the weight of the stove that the glass hasn’t broken or cracked.
Not really a problem or issue if glass is tempered, which I assume.
Tempered Glass is certain point quite flexible where it shutters than into thousand pieces.
It is used as Table top, Showers enclosures etc.

I'm not sure about the Glass Being safe unless it was something that had a R factor of over .08
3/8"glass give you that
Should not be an issue if it goes conform with Manufacturers recommendations. In the case of my Rika, all
what is required is a 3/8" non combustible Underlayment.
It really all depends on specs from manufacturer of Stove.

pelletfan said:
[I’m surprised with the weight of the stove that the glass hasn’t broken or cracked.
Not really a problem or issue if glass is tempered, which I assume.
Tempered Glass is certain point quite flexible where it shutters than into thousand pieces.
It is used as Table top, Showers enclosures etc.

I'm not sure about the Glass Being safe unless it was something that had a R factor of over .08
3/8"glass give you that
Should not be an issue if it goes conform with Manufacturers recommendations. In the case of my Rika, all
what is required is a 3/8" non combustible Underlayment.
It really all depends on specs from manufacturer of Stove.

1/4" Ceramic tile only has an R factor of .01
Im not sure of the R factor of CLEAR glass without a UV layer.

It would fly with an englander. only needs to be on non-combustible surface. the glass shouldn't crack if the floor is well supported and won't flex much

forgot to say that i don't agree with the venting though. i don't think that just because the manual SAYS you can do a direct vent, you should. especially under a bay window. are those flanking windows operable? I think the main reason manufacturers say their stove can be installed direct vent is for sales. I'd bet a lot more people would buy the stove if they were told, "all you need to do is vent it straight out." that sound alot more attractive than rising vertically, etc. My car can go 140 mph, but just because it can, doesn't mean I do.

mark,
I own a glass business, if that piece of glass is tempered, it will withstand quite a bit of abuse, but if you hit the edge with anything hard at all, it will shatter. When I get a new employee, I take a used tempered patio unit, and have the new employee hit the middle of the glass while its in the dumpster, after about 3 hard smacks with the hammer, I take the hammer, put the handle between my finger and thumb only, and let the weight of the hammer head swing and hit the edge of the glass (hardly any swing at all) the glass always shatters. It always makes an impression. You can set a tempered unit on a deck with a nail head sticking out of the deck slightly, and it will shatter that way too. There should be a tempering sign in one of the corners, its usually white lettering, very small with a code from where it was made etc. Good luck, stove looks nice

hey hearthtools,

you are correct to never direct vent....especially if you do it the way you depict!!! (6" from exterior wall)...( no heat shield)...with that set up what other results would you expect???

with direct venting to (18" termination) that could not have happened....in addition, you do not have the (eyesore) of (vertical) pipe inside or outside your home...

cleaning vent pipe is (simple).....never had a problem with smoke inside after a power failure...

after 5 yrs. burning pellets with direct venting I'm sure I'm not the only one happy as a ( pellet pig) in S#!T...

deercroft said:
hey hearthtools,

you are correct to never direct vent....especially if you do it the way you depict!!! (6" from exterior wall)...( no heat shield)...with that set up what other results would you expect???

with direct venting to (18" termination) that could not have happened....in addition, you do not have the (eyesore) of (vertical) pipe inside or outside your home...

cleaning vent pipe is (simple).....never had a problem with smoke inside after a power failure...

after 5 yrs. burning pellets with direct venting I'm sure I'm not the only one happy as a ( pellet pig) in S#!T...

I agree i have direct venting ands have no issues at all, siding clean, no soot, no smoke, no problems. I am 18" from the outside wall with a 45 pointed down. I think all that extra piping is extra cost most times.

Hello Everyone, I Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your postings and I'm happy to hear that all problems have a solution that wont put those poor families at risk any longerf! Verry generous for people to post thier mistakes so that we may lean from thim.

RIck

Nice install Mark M, but maybe you should point the out away from the A/C unit just to avoid any soot being blowed into the fan.
Hearthtools do you know of any issues of overdrafting with such a long pipe being exposed to the cold elements? You living in Cali might not have that problem with extreme low temps like here in Virginia. I read about overdrafting somewhere and to this day I can not find where I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.