Installation time--any last suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nigel459

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hey all, we are excited for our wood stove installation tomorrow (Thursday Nov 16th) by a local dealer/installer.

Our setup will be a sirocco 20 stove, double walled pipe going up about 16' with two 45s to off-peak of a cathedral ceiling (12/12 pitch) then 6' of pipe above the roof outside, about 4' above the peak at the top.

Should the installers stick around for the first fire to check the draft, performance, etc.? Any other suggestions regarding the install day?

Thanks for any input, if nothing else wish us luck for a smooth install :)

Drop clothes for the floor, make sure the dvl is screwed in on at least 3 sides. Have dry firewood waiting. Read up on how to do break in stoves, read stove manual while waiting.

Reactions: Blazing
Good luck with the new install. Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing how it goes.
Thanks! I’ll definitely post some pics.
Drop clothes for the floor, make sure the dvl is screwed in on at least 3 sides. Have dry firewood waiting. Read up on how to do break in stoves, read stove manual while waiting.
Thanks: check on floors covered, dry wood, check, will read manual, check, and what’s dvl?

What's DVL? A brand of double wall connecting pipe.

Reactions: Beldin and Squisher
Drop clothes for the floor,.
Funny. I read this and was sitting here thinking, "Why should you take off your clothing and put it on the floor during the install".

Funny. I read this and was sitting here thinking, "Why should you take off your clothing and put it on the floor during the install".
Its a east coast thing

Its a east coast thing
Well, depending on who the installer is and who ends up with no clothing, it could either be very motivational for the installer or make them want to get out of the house very fast. It reminded me of a friend years ago. He had a floating home and heated it with a wood stove. He would overheat the place on purpose because he found he girlfriend tended to remove her clothing when it was too warm.

don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, but when you do the break in fires open the windows, it might smell a lot as the finish on your new stove cures.

Reactions: BlankBlankBlank