Installing 6" Chimney Liner in 25 foot chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProPain

Jul 10, 2008
Okay I think I am going to take on the challenge of installing a liner in our 25' tall chimney for a Pacific Energy wood burning fireplace insert.

When we left off last, I had a certified pro come out and give us an expensive quote on installing a 6" liner into our chimney.

Well, he won't break down the parts and labor into line items, probably because the labor would be about $1500 for four hours work.

SO, I want to get information about this. Our Pro said he would use straight pipe and insulate it with vermiculite.

How does this compare to flex pipe made out of 316ti?

What would you guys recommend for the insulation?

How dangerous it is to lift up whatever pipe and put it down the chimney?

Thanks again for all help.

Propain(ed)

humpin iron said:
Price sounds about right

Aw come on HI. The $1,500 is just the labor. Not parts and labor.

If a chimney installer normally gets $1500 for four hours work, I am REALLY in the wrong business.
"Anyone need a liner installed? I do it for $1350 cash!!!!"

So, now that the fun has passed, useful info would be most appreciated :) ;-) :)

I took a risk and bought a liner from chimney depot a 8in by 25ft with all the extra parts my son and i put it in ia about 5 hours it was not easy but we solved the problems as we went along I am very happy.
JIm

Heck I ran 22' double wall rigid with another 5' of flex at the bottom including delivery was $1,080.00
If you ok with heights, and at least a lil mechanically handy, DIY.
The double wall is preinsulated in between the skins, no additional vermiculite or insulation needed.
Quick & easy. Depends on what size clay your lining into?

I was quoted $1290 for 6" x 30' liner install (parts, labor & tax).

After watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRauuzjI-H4 I have decided to take on this task as a DIY project. My neighbor has scaffolding that I'm going to use to do the install. I am planning on getting the insulation to go with the liner. A vendor on ebay (think its chimney liner depot - but have a different ebay store name) has the 6"x30" for $665.00:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-x-30-FLEX-KING-316TI-CHIMNEY-LINER-KIT-INSULATION_W0QQitemZ260276616980QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260276616980&_trkparms=72:552|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I contacted them and they do give phone support if you have issues while installing and I have terracotta sticking out of the chimney I'm going to call when ordering to upgrade the cap.

Hi Again'
You are doing the same as my son amd I did on Monday, some tips that might help you. The liner kept gettting stuck half way down the chemney we looked down the chimney with a bright light and seen that the stone liner was not stright down far from it so it kept gettting hung up. I bought a 8 in liner and had to oval it to fit through throw the flew. To make a long story short taper the end of it to a point so it can by pass at any points that it may get hung up on. I was one min of giving up but we did it and now I understand how it make it an easy job.
bought liner from chimney depot 8 in by 25 ft 460 dollars my son had the scalfing chimney depot was great to work with.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.