1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

installing a new fire

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dean baker, Jan 24, 2013.

1. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    hi there i am looking to install a woodburner in an old chimney i have reopened.my first question is the opening is 40 inches wide of which i want to reduce by 4 inches each side with a concrete lintel accross the top of the opening just to tidy it up. brick work is fine its the old red clay bricks,now what type of brick do i use to reduce the width can i use any type of brick due to the heat also what type or mix of mortar,this is my first question i think i am going to get on your nerves in the next few weeks but many thanks in advance
    DEAN

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

If you are going to install a stove it doesn't matter what bricks or mortar you use. Any brick mortar combo will be fine for that. If it was an open fireplace and the fire would be against the bricks special ricks and mortar would be needed. But use whatever.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Use the appropriate materials due to the fact that it may be used as an open fireplace in the future. Since I am taking a guess here that you are in the UK talking to a local building official or mason would help you determine what materials to use.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    thanks guys this fire will not be used as an open fire in the future so i can use normal brick with sand and cement mix,ok what are the clearances from the sides and rear of the stove as the materials are non combustible, and yes i am from south wales uk many thanks again for your replies below is a pic of the opening above the 2 rows of bricks there is a metal lintel with a brick arch above so i will be removing the 2 rows and will put a concrete lintel there which will be sitting on a row of bricks either side closing the opening roughly 9 inches leaving 27 inch wide and 27 inches tall 14 inches deep is this ok so far.

IMG00017-20130123-0640.jpg
    ScotO likes this.
  5. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    The stove manual should state clearances.

Understand that you will never use it for a fireplace but what about the family that buys the hous in 50 years?

Cool looking chimney - what is the rest of the house like? :)
  6. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    hello mfglikman the problem is i have not chose a stove yet looking up on dimensions ,haha i have lived in this house for 20 years this was blocked up when i moved in the rest of the house is fine, this is my dining room (shes going mad) i understand what your saying about someone else owning the house in 50 years so i will do my best to pass on the info if i sell cos i aint counting on dying yet anyway cheers
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'd LOVE to see that fireplace in it's heyday, I bet it was a cozy place! If that were MY fireplace, I'd be cleaning off that whitewash parge and repointing all those bricks......then a good sealer (like Siloxane) to keep it clean and pretty..

A little catylitic stove would look great in there and really put out some heat, much more than an old open fireplace. I'd be considering installing an insulated liner for safety and performance reasons. Keep us posted with progress and pics, I love a good install project.....(check out mine on the link in my signature below).
  8. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    i do remember this as an open fire place my wife lived here all her life so when we were courting we used to use the room with that fire blazing absolutely amazing this is why i wanted to open it back up much to her annoyance but we,re the boss aint we lads (oopps) and yes i have to use an insulated liner in there will keep you informed (probably get on your nerves) Dean
    awesome project you did there scotty fair play i have a log cabin in my garden and thats having a fire put in as well but one job at a time hey.

just an update on the fire place it seems to be taking ages but we will get there

Attached Files:

Billybonfire and ScotO like this.
  9. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    coming on now

Attached Files:

pen and Billybonfire like this.
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Cute, that looks great. When do you get to fire it up?
  11. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    IMG00076-20130212-1731.jpg IMG00076-20130212-1731.jpg
    as soon as i have the liner fitted got to get a hetas qualified person to do it, regs hey.below is the register plate i made and the first course of bricks sitting on the angle iron their not cemented in yet though,now to get a piece of oak 5x4 inches by 6ft long,im a little lost on a fender around the hearth its 67 inches by 17 inches any help would be nice thanks

Attached Files:

Billybonfire likes this.
  12. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    well register plate is in 5mm gap all round for expansion what would u use in this gap some kind of silicon or fire cement cheers
  13. Billybonfire

Billybonfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancashire NW England.
    Hi Dean,
    I would get some slightly oversize firerope and pack it in there, very easy to do, cheap and easy to remove if ever you have to.
    Also pack it round the flue pipe/register plate gap.

hope this helps

Billy.
  14. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    thanks billy i will do that cheers
  15. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    IMG00094-20130216-1706.jpg ok in the picture there are alcoves either side of firebreast walls where i have bricked should i come flush with the breast wall or not cheers

Attached Files:

16. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    well its coming on nicely now any ideas for deco above mantle, stone do you think

Attached Files:

17. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Looks good Dean. Stone veneer might work well above the mantel. Maybe a nice large mirror Trimmed out in nice woodwork. All depends on you & the lil woman's preferences. Many things can be done there.
  18. Billybonfire

Billybonfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancashire NW England.
    I would just tidy up the plasterwork and paper/paint it, think you can over do it.

Billy.
  19. dean baker

dean baker New Member

Loc:
    south wales uk
    you think like my wifey billy haha your probably right though
    Billybonfire likes this.