Installing a probe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Highbeam, the Woodstocks are a different animal and usually have lower flue temps. In the bypass mode I can easily go over 1000 but after I engage the cat temps come down fast and cruise at 400-600 depending on the air setting. Maybe the thicker stone on top in the Hearthstones is reflecting more heat up the flue? Woodstock's only have a 3/4" slab on top.

I did receive a neat graft from Woodstock on flue temps of a Fireview. I'll try to post it.

Okay, got the probe installed. My dealer had both condar and Imperial probes in. I had ordered the condar but after hearing the high readings i went for the imperial, but then read about low readings ( ya just cant win!). Loaded the stove from a cold start. Sove top 500, outside of DW reads 270 at the probe with IR, 340 on my short 45 section. Probe reads 400*. Seems pretty low to me. Will keep everyone updated.

500F on the stove top and 400F in the flue sounds pretty normal to me for a PE with a shoulder season fire.

765 stove top, 650 probe, rutland magnetic reads 375 at the probe 18" above flue colar, IR reads 405. IR reads 600 on top of the 45 section.

Interesting. Sounds like all is in order with the stove. I wonder if Excel double-wall connector just runs hotter on the surface than other pipe?

BeGreen said:
Interesting. Sounds like all is in order with the stove. I wonder if Excel double-wall connector just runs hotter on the surface than other pipe?

I guess its very well possible. I did email Excel and am also going to talk with my dealer. The pipe does maintain 6" clearance to combustables so i cant imagine it can run real hot. I will let you know what i get for an answer when I get it.

Recieved a Email back today from Excel. In my email to them, I explained my setup, stove, and all my temp readings. They said the temps sound a bit high for the 45 section, but "shouldnt pose a problem". They said the inner lining is stainless which is very resistant to heat and "provide there is adequate clearance it should be fine". So i guess the insulation value of this pipe is not real high it seems. Its a good thing I more than tripled my 6" to combustables, I always go overkill when i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.