Installing a Used Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
Hello all,
I have been reading, searching and speaking with local dealers. My particular situation sucks. I have a Majestic Prefab which sucks. My wife is absolutely against a wood stove. So I am wanting to get another zero clearance, but a EPA ZC fireplace. I am wanting to install a used (good) unit to stay within budget. I have found a few, but have a few questions. If it was once hooked up to a furnace, can I still use it and cover where the furnace was attached? Also, if it has a combustion air duct, do I have to install the cold air combustion duct? I know they take a different double wall liner. Please advise.

I would be very careful here or you may end up changing out fireplaces with similar disappointment to the current installation. Also, the new unit may have a different chimney system and chimney pipe requirement. What make/model are you looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.