Installing liner with metal fire box/heatilator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse83

Oct 25, 2013
WA
I've been planning on installing a wood insert into my fireplace. It has a heatilator installed. The problem is if I cut the tubes I still only have 5" wide then about 6" higher
at the flue it gets even smaller. Maybe 3 1/2 to 4" wide. What are my options for this? The stove I wanted to use requires a 6" liner. Sorry for the poor quality pictures.
Thanks for any advise

20131121_191609.jpg 20131121_191554.jpg 20131121_191539.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, one option is to cut, grind or remove (in some ways) one or two of the tubes....and even some of the frame from the area about that. However, if you have a full 4" or more in the above frame, it might be easy to oval some flex pipe a bit to get through it.

Of course, this means the fireplace cannot easily be brought back to "stock" open use, but chances are that it's near the end of it's useful life anyway.

Another option would be to reach up and grind out the damper area to the full 6" or more and then just ovalize the pipe through the 5" tube area.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to hang a metal etched (engraved) tag of some sort up there from one of the tubes stating that the fireplace has been modified and should be inspected and fixed if ever used as a open one again. This may help someone in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to add except that the chimney looks like it must have a professional cleaning before installing the liner. There is a lot of creosote showing there.

I usually cut two of the tubes out with a sawzall and bash them out with a hammer if needed. Then on the "box" area where the tubes connect I cut a half moon into the face of it with a torch, giving me access to the back of that area to cut out my other half moon to get a 6" liner through with plenty of room. I would also vote for a VERY good cleaning before installing the liner as well.

Reminds me if my installation , I had to remove the center tube and cut the damper out .

The chimney was cleaned a month ago but the stove is so inefficient. That's the reason of replacing it. I called a stove shop and they quoted me $2,200 for a liner install. That seams outrageous to me. Is that a normal liner install price? The chimney is about 15' tall and in good condition.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.