Installing new Econoburn 150 - how do I pre-heat my DHW?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplewood

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2008
NB Canada
Hello.

My first posting. I just purchased an Econoburn 150, to replace a 15 year old Kerr TW-2000. I am moving into the world of gasification, which I have been reading about on hearth.com for 2 years. Two quick questions:

- How do I pre-heat my electric DHW? I'm currently using a coiled copper tube that inserts into my Kerr, but this is not available on the Econoburn 150. Will I use a heat exchanger? Any suggestions on what type?

- I have to move my old boiler (600 lbs) out and the new one (1550 lbs) in. I'm thinking 2x10 planks on the floor and 1/2" rods to roll it along. On the stairs, again 2x10 planks and a well secured come-along. Any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance,
maplewood

Maplewood,
You might think about attaching a sidearm for your hotwater tank. It's doing a pretty good job heating my DHW. If you search sidearm on this site you will find all kinds of great info. I bought one off e-bay. Don't know about the moving stuff.
Bob

Hi Maplewood; Is your floor concrete or a dirt floor. I'm wondering why the 2x10 planks? In either case I would suggest 1" iron pipe. Your boiler will roll much easier. I don't know if you have acess to cheap 110 volt winches as we do. They are about $50.00 here. This would make going down the stairs much easier, you wouldn't need to take another bite with your come-along halfway down the stairs. Randy

Sidearms are inexpensive to build, and can be easily taken apart to be cleaned. If your water is very hard, I recommend the sidearm route over the braized plate exchangers for that very reason. While the braized plates are quite a bit more efficient than the sidearms, the sidearms generally work well enough for most folks if installed properly.

When we moved our EBW200 down into the basement, we used 4x6's to build a ramp over the steps for sliding the unit down the steps. We also took the doors and blower housing off and built a giant pallet on the front of the boiler so we could lay it down with the skid loader. It worked really well. Just remember that the boilers are like 'weebles'. They wobble, but they don't fall down... well they will fall down, but because of the massive amounts of refractory near the base, the center of gravity is very low considering how tall the units are.

cheers

Congratulations and welcome to the gasification dimension-

Not sure what you have for steps into the cellar, but in my case, I was able to temporarily remove the cellar step "treads" and then carefully used the hydraulic loader on a tractor borrowed from a friend to carefully lower my EBW-150 vertically straight down the hatch. Once it was on the cellar floor, a borrowed hydraulic pallet truck got it to very near its final spot, and then a come along and a big nylon tow strap wrapped around the boiler's legs snugged it into its precise final spot

easternbob said:
Maplewood,
You might think about attaching a sidearm for your hotwater tank. It's doing a pretty good job heating my DHW. If you search sidearm on this site you will find all kinds of great info. I bought one off e-bay. Don't know about the moving stuff.
Bob

Thanks, Bob. I've checked out the sidearm, and I'll go that way.
Larry

Singed Eyebrows said:
Hi Maplewood; Is your floor concrete or a dirt floor. I'm wondering why the 2x10 planks? In either case I would suggest 1" iron pipe. Your boiler will roll much easier. I don't know if you have acess to cheap 110 volt winches as we do. They are about $50.00 here. This would make going down the stairs much easier, you wouldn't need to take another bite with your come-along halfway down the stairs. Randy

Thanks, Randy. Never thougth of a winch. I'm sure I can find one to buy/borrow/rent.
To move my boiler in, I've got to cover 6' of hardwood flooring, 16 finished steps down to the carpeted concrete floor, and about 20' to where I'm going to install the boiler. I was using the 2x10 planks to make a path to slide/roll on, and not damage any of my hardwood or carpeting. I'll use the 1" pipes as you mentioned.
Looks like my last week of vacation just got booked solid.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.