Installing pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

utahdl

Hearth Supporter
Jan 16, 2007
Recently met with quadrafire dealer, not sure how knowledgeable she was. Anyway, she informed me that I could not install a stove in the location I want it because the outside vent would be over my deck. I have a wrap around porch which really limits my placement. Is there anyway to overcome this problem?

Thanks, Dan

Sounds like a direct vent out to the deck, which not only would be a saftey issue but the deck would be considered a combustible.
Give us a bit more info on the layout.
I'm sure if you went out and then up 7 feet you would be ok before terminating...

If the vent went straight out the wall it would be approx 12-18 inches above the deck.
The stove would be placed in a corner between two windows, windows are approx 2ft away in both directions.

Read page 8 of this Section c specificaly
http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/L502_aug05.pdf
This is a rough guideline, what stove are you looking at...... the manual will usually give specifics, try to download it.
I believe it's 3 feet away for windows, doors, combustibles, vegetation etc....For most manufactures

As someone suggested you might be able to go outside then up along with outside wall. Then either terminate horizontally or if you get above to roof line you can terminate vertically. Without knowing more about the layout I don't know where the vent could go and be placed properly. The directions GVA posted look pretty good for the simpson vent which is what most dealers use for pellet vent.

I went to the dealer knowing where i wanted to locate the stove, and when I left, I felt that it was impossible for me to put it there. So my experience was a bit frustrating.

Basically, you don't want to be blasting heat out of the exhaust near combustibles or people. You may be able to exhaust at the desired location, but it will probably need to go up high enough not to be a danger to humans or house.

I'm in Salt Lake, if you are dealing with the dealer I think you are, you are in good hands. They know what they are doing. If they said it couldn't be done, it may be communications. Tell them where you want the stove and what has to be done to vent the stove. May mean a large rise to the roof, but it will be safe. The dealer will not recommend an unsafe install and will not do an install that will void your warranty. If you want to discuss local dealers, PM me. I don't think any in Utah are members here, but I won't talk band about any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.