Installing temperature probe for Vermont Castings Winter Warm Small Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2008
Minnesota
I just purchased a digital temperature probe with a 6' cable for my Winter Warm Small Insert catalytic fireplace insert. Does anyone know how to install one of these on the Winter Warm? Neither the manual for the stove nor the manual for the temperature probe shows how to do it.

Thanks!

Wood Burner said:
I just purchased a digital temperature probe with a 6' cable for my Winter Warm Small Insert catalytic fireplace insert. Does anyone know how to install one of these on the Winter Warm? Neither the manual for the stove nor the manual for the temperature probe shows how to do it.

Thanks!

On the large, there's a knockout in the rear, about middle. Thermometer goes right by the catalytic combustor. You do have to pull the unit out of the fireplace to do it.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Sounds like I may have to cut some sheet metal to get at it on the Winter Warm Small Insert but a local VC dealer said there is a plug that can be removed to install the temperature probe.

The VC dealer also said the probes aren't worth the bother as they burn out and each replacement requires you to remove your insert. Has anyone had experience with the digital probes sold by Condar?

Bob

I've never actually used the probe myself, but Mo Heat swears by his. See if you can PM him (one of the moderators). We burn 24x7, and don't really let the stove get too cool, so getting up to cat temp isn't a big deal. Mo's more your evening woodburner, so he's starring at 65 and trying to get to 400 or whatever it i to cut in the cat. We probably never go much below 200, so the warmup is a lot faster.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.