installing thimbles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harley75

Nov 21, 2016
pennsylvania
putting in these thimbles i have to cut through brick now with brick i can just cut the round hole and slide thimble in.I was reading somewhere it had to be a 7.5 inch square

putting in these thimbles i have to cut through brick now with brick i can just cut the round hole and slide thimble in.I was reading somewhere it had to be a 7.5 inch square
What type of thimble going through what type of wall for what appliance ect ect?

You would need a 12" square for 6" chimney, 14" for 8" pipe. Add a quarter inch for adjustment. Assuming you are using Dura-tech, not Dura-plus.

Last edited:
For simplicity we just cut a square on both sides, install the thimble then pack the dead space in the corners with some of the insulation you removed for the thimble.

Is this a brick wall with stud framing behind it or solid brick from interior to exterior? What thimble is being used - class A chimney pipe?

What is the thimble construction? Is this the DuraVent thimble for a class a snout extension off of the chimney tee? If yes, is this DuraPlus or DuraTech chimney pipe?
Something like this?

Attachments

• duravent thimble.jpg
    duravent thimble.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 66
Some more info would have prevented a whole needless conversation. This is pellet vent

Status
Not open for further replies.