Instructional videos for stove installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sell all types of venting and select the best venting for the job. Chickenman also sells a brand of DT venting and he also says it increases overall efficiency 10% In the laws of thermodynamics, if the burn air temp going into the burn pot comes in at a higher temperature then a non heated OAK install that less energy is used to bring this higher temp air up to combustion temperature therefore increasing the overall efficiency. So if you did not drop out if college you may have learned that. If you are calling what you see is stupid then you may be looking in the mirror!

Last edited:
so you admit this is your hypothesis? You have collaborated your findings with one other user using a different stove under completely different conditions therefore it's fact. I can name you 15 stoves off the top of my head that utilize an air dump or air mix and have no direct air intake to the fire box. Do those get the the 10% spread as well? What about heat ranges? If a stove is burning hotter does the stove just keep getting better? Maybe if you burn the stove on high and turn the room blower off and have a 35' run of horizontal venting you could get 50%!

Just bought a brand new Harmon Free Standing XXV about two weeks ago...... NOW I get laid off my job. hahahaha (not too funny) What luck, right?

Money is now very tight and I have this stove sitting in the middle of my living room on a wood pallet. I am a very handy guy who is looking to install my own stove to save some money. Along with the ventilation, I also want to install and OAK. Are there any quality installation videos or how to do (with pictures) that I can use as a guide?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
It's pretty easy. The xxv needs a really big hearth pad (48") if yer in a corner. Set the stove where you need it and dry fit all your venting to find your thimble placement.

Don't forget to pull a permit.

Maybe time for this thread to close. Remember, the prime objective of Hearth.com is helping others. If you have a gripe with another member's opinion, start a conversation or get a room.

@BKSinAZ do you have any more questions? Did you complete the installation?

Maybe time for this thread to close. Remember, the prime objective of Hearth.com is helping others. If you have a gripe with another member's opinion, start a conversation or get a room.

Amen!
Thanks BGreen

I just bought the pad yesturday. Got a 40 inch black graphite tile corner pad for 322.00 with $7.00 off with ACE rewards . The color matches the flat black of the stove perfectly as though they were made for each other.

Amazingly, the ACE hardware in Show Low AZ carries them, yet a searh on ACE hardware website shows they don't carry them.
Installation will happen in three weeks by a professional

Last edited:
I just bought the pad yesturday. Got a 40 inch black graphite tile corner pad for 322.00 with $7.00 off with ACE rewards . The color matches the flat black of the stove perfectly as though they were made for each other.

Amazingly, the ACE hardware in Show Low AZ carries them, yet a searh on ACE hardware website shows they don't carry them.
Good work!
Please remember to post pics of the install when you get it running! We like that!

Reactions: bogieb

The 40" pad won't be big enough for clearances for that stove. I'm pretty sure about that. You need 9.75 inches from the corners to the back walls if I remember correctly unless your walls are non combustible or you install heat shields on the walls. You still have to maintain 6" from the glass in the front too.

Looks like all he needs is 6.25" to the pad corners. The pad doesn't need to go all the way to the walls. Minimum in the manual is 36" sq. for a corner install.
Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 7.04.07 PM.png

Looks like all he needs is 6.25" to the pad corners. The pad doesn't need to go all the way to the walls. Minimum in the manual is 36" sq. for a corner install.
View attachment 158710
That's a minimum square under the stove. You need quite a large pad to get that when the pad is turned. Thanks for the illustrations

View attachment 158710
Also shows the minimum 36" pad in a corner with wall side shields. Without shields and maintaining all clearances the pads ends up being something like 46.25" and a 48" pad is the closest largest standard size.

Stove clearance requirements are often independent of the hearth pad protection requirements. The pad doesn't need to go to the corners. Can't you just rotate the pad so that it is parallel to the stove sides and sit it in the corner, honoring the stove clearance requirements? You can pull the stove as far away from the walls as required.

I've seen a few done this way. It doesn't look too bad.

harman-corner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.