Insufficient heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTwoodinsert

Mar 30, 2023
Stamford, CT
Hi,

I bought a Osborn Matrix Wood Stove insert and installed in last April. I‘ve been using it since October however it is not putting out much heat or even warming up the room it is in. I can get the insert temperature up to 400 degrees but heat output is still very weak at best if I run for couple hours room temperature goes up couple degrees. You can hear the blower but barely blowing at best 1 ft away., angled up. This is an EPA rated high efficiency unit with 75,000 btu output rated for 2100 sq ft. It is professionally installed by the hearth store I purchased from. I got the house insulated in July both the attic and exterior walls and using seasoned wood. When I told the dealer about the issue they took no responsibility and not willing to resolve the issue. Attached is the picture of my chimney. Does anyone come across similar issue where newly installed unit is not putting out heat? Appreciate anyone’s guidance on this.

image000000.jpeg

What is your wood supply like? Not getting over 400 would point to not fully dry wood.
Also , where are you measuring the temp and with what thermometer?
With my insert, for reference, I use a stovetop thermometer and put it into the slot where the warm air blows out from. This is the stove top basically for an insert.

What is your wood supply like? Not getting over 400 would point to not fully dry wood.
I use1 year seasoned oak and redwood. Thermometer shows 350-400 is best operating temperature that’s why I leave it there. My issue is there is not good heat output and fast burn time. It feels like heat is escaping from chimney and blower is fighting with that suction to chimney.

I use1 year seasoned oak and redwood. Thermometer shows 350-400 is best operating temperature that’s why I leave it there. My issue is there is not good heat output and fast burn time. It feels like heat is escaping from chimney and blower is fighting with that suction to chimney.
lwhere are you measuring the temp and with what thermometer?
With my insert, for reference, I use a stovetop thermometer and put it into the slot where the warm air blows out from. This is the stove top basically for an insert.

Where is your thermometer, and what type is it?

The insert should be getting to at least 600 no problem. I’d work towards getting there before thinking about the heat escaping. With temps 6-700, the heat should be noticeable even if you don’t have a block off plate.

I put it on top of the door. Please see below image

View attachment 319815
Ok on the door won’t give you the best info, being that the 2 standard places to measure temp is the stove top or the stovepipe( both not easily accessible with an insert. Do you have a slot that you can put the thermometer in that just above the door (this should be the stove top).

It looks like tha may be a stove pipe thermometer and meant to thread the temp of the pipe about 18” above the stove.

Ok on the door won’t give you the best info, being that the 2 standard places to measure temp is the stove top or the stovepipe( both not easily accessible with an insert. Do you have a slot that you can put the thermometer in that just above the door (this should be the stove top).
Yes, there is an opening where blower blows hot air. Please see below image

image.jpg

It looks like tha may be a stove pipe thermometer and meant to thread the temp of the pipe about 18” above the stove.
You’re right but, it should work at least to the temp on thermometer for stove top use.

A stove pipe thermometer will show best temp in that range (3-400) if used on single wall pipe. A stove top thermometer will be set for 4-600 as best range. IMG_1897.png

Plus, if you google that one, it says it’s a pipe thermometer.

the one year oak is going to struggle. The summer season we had in CT was brutal with all the rain.
Just make sure you check the liner a bit more frequently bc to make sure the buildup isn’t getting too excessive

Plus, if you google that one, it says it’s a pipe thermometer.
I think I replied too quick initially. You’re right, it’s for the pipe.

I will but I only put maybe 8 fires out this unit just installed in April.i don’t think it could build up that fast. I keep my wood under shed covered, so it’s not all wet.

I will but I only put maybe 8 fires out this unit just installed in April.i don’t think it could build up that fast. I keep my wood under shed covered, so it’s not all wet.
Right, but maybe check the liner a bit more at first than just forgetting about it for a year.

Reactions: CTwoodinsert
The shed is good but oak is a notorious pain in the ass to dry out for really good burns. At least a good couple yrs needed. Most other woods are good in a years time.
Being in CT, try as much as you can to grab some black birch. High BTU wood that dries in about half the time as oak, maybe quicker.

Magnetic thermometers are inherently inaccurate. Put that along with running around 100-200 degrees lower than what STT should be, you may not be getting the heat you want. In my stove, 200* STT variation makes a big difference.

How tall is the chimney? And how full are you filling it?

I am sure that will help incrementally run more efficiently but what I am dealing is more than seasoned wood issue. Heat out put is no where close to be where it is and blower is very weak. It is 130 cfm, not the greatest but not the worst either

400 is too low. There is a crest to get over, where the real heat starts and the stove cruises. At 400, you are not there yet.
Also, stuff that box full. You will get shat for heat with that lil amount of wood.
That top plate termination is shitzgy.
Looks like it's just laying there, hope you have a block off plate down below.
Lastly, you wood is prolly not ready for primetime.

400 is too low. There is a crest to get over, where the real heat starts and the stove cruises. At 400, you are not there yet.
Also, stuff that box full. You will get shat for heat with that lil amount of wood.
That top plate termination is shitzgy.
Looks like it's just laying there, hope you have a block off plate down below.
Lastly, you wood is prolly not ready for primetime.
Yes normally I run full box that’s when I can get the temperature up to 400 degree or maybe little higher. There is a block off plate on the chimney. My friend has a built in thermometer in his lopi and he hits 400 within 10 mins. It is different with external thermometers.

image000000.jpeg