Insufficient heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think we need some way to classify the vigor of the secondary air jets. I think that would be helpful in diagnosing overdraft by sight. Yours in the video are wispy and dancing. That’s what I like to see. When you get the blow torch look it’s moving to much air at some point. .
Tomorrow I will upload a video. I didn’t start a fire today

It’s mixed with other type of wood redwood ie. Please see below images

i didn’t start a fire today but when I do it tomorrow I will upload a video
If that moisture meter is on a piece of wood that was just split then I guess that’s really dry then. I’ve had that particular moisture meter before and it ran a little low, but like maybe 3 or 4 percent point low compared to other meters I had at the time. Even if your wood was at 14 or 15 percent, that would still be great fuel.

If that moisture meter is on a piece of wood that was just split then I guess that’s really dry then. I’ve had that particular moisture meter before and it ran a little low, but like maybe 3 or 4 percent point low compared to other meters I had at the time. Even if your wood was at 14 or 15 percent, that would still be great fuel.
Yes like I said I don’t think seasoned wood is the problem. It’s gotta be something else. Do you know any credible hearth store in southern Connecticut?

My friend has a built in thermometer in his lopi and he hits 400 within 10 mins. It is different with external thermometers.
Is that a thermometer for the catalyst?

Yes like I said I don’t think seasoned wood is the problem. It’s gotta be something else. Do you know any credible hearth store in southern Connecticut?
Preston Trading Post in Preston, CT

I think we need some way to classify the vigor of the secondary air jets. I think that would be helpful in diagnosing overdraft by sight. Yours in the video are wispy and dancing. That’s what I like to see. When you get the blow torch look it’s moving to much air at some point. .
by the look of the wood is this is the latter part of the burn cycle? I'm rarely able to achieve wispy flames until it's closer to the coaling stage. Although, maybe I'm just not shutting down the air early enough

There’s Deans stove and spa closer to you as well.

Please see below videos after starting fire .

Attachments

• IMG_7445.mov
    9.4 MB
No that’s not enough just starting the fire slowly building up to full box
Why? Why not just fill the stove and light it? But those flames don't really look like the stove is over drafting

Reactions: kborndale
Two of them came and looked at the chimney. They said it looks ok and left.
Did you explain the issues you were having ahead of time and tell them you needed help? There are many times I have run a load through a stove for a customer. Besides if it's a question of draft they need a fire in the stove to test that

Did you explain the issues you were having ahead of time and tell them you needed help? There are many times I have run a load through a stove for a customer. Besides if it's a question of draft they need a fire in the stove to test that
Yes I Did you dolsun the issue ahead of time. They just visually inspect and didn’t start a fire, I don’t have draft issues tho…but part of me things because of no block off plate heat is escaping from Chimney

Yes I Did you dolsun the issue ahead of time. They just visually inspect and didn’t start a fire, I don’t have draft issues tho…but part of me things because of no block off plate heat is escaping from Chimney
Yes a lack of blockoff plate will definitely reduce output. But it's also still possible your over drafting or it's an operation issue.

What can be done if there is too much draft? And can block off plate prevents excess draft?
Restrict air inlets or add a damper to reduce draft.

No a blockoff plate will not change the draft

When you say reduce air inlets, I reduce it to 60% when it gets to peak temperature
Close it further your output will go up. But I was talking about restricting the amount of uncontrolled air coming into the stove. But now that I know you are only closing it to 60% try closing it more first