Insufficient heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It chokes if I close it all the way. To give you perspective I started the fire at 8 am now it’s 5:40 pm burned it all day. Temperature was 49.1 degrees and right now it is 54.9. It’s gotta be more than that
What do you mean by it chokes?

Anything possible at this point. I just bought the moisture reader this week. How can I measure if I have enough draft.
My guess is the moiste readings aren't right. Those numbers are way below anything that you can get without a kiln

Or is it possible blower is not working properly
I know from experience if a modern stove is running properly with the air control only 60% closed you will be sending way to much heat up the chimney.

I also know that if the fire chokes out and doesn't recover when the air is shut all the way the answer almost always is there either isn't enough draft or the wood is wet.

I know from experience if a modern stove is running properly with the air control only 60% closed you will be sending way to much heat up the chimney.

I also know that if the fire chokes out and doesn't recover when the air is shut all the way the answer almost always is there either isn't enough draft or the wood is wet.
You are right Fire is not dead when I completely choke please see below image and video. Wood is not wet. It kills the fire when I choke when I am starting a new one. Also unseasoned wood certainly impact efficiency and run rate however after running all day barely 55 degrees?

IMG_7454.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7453.mov
    7.9 MB

And you are right burn time is much better when I completely close air intake

You are right Fire is not dead when I completely choke please see below image and video. Wood is not wet. It kills the fire when I choke when I am starting a new one. Also unseasoned wood certainly impact efficiency and run rate however after running all day barely 55 degrees?

View attachment 319943
Is that with the air fully closed?

I actually had inspection done today. As i anticipated liner was installed correctly. They didn't insulate the liner there is no block off plate to keep the heat down. Heat is escaping through chimney and blower is fighting the suction. Does anyone know somebody who can put insulation on the liner and install a block off plate for reasonable price in southern Connecticut.

Temperature was 49.1 degrees and right now it is 54.9. It’s gotta be more than that
Are these outdoor temps? Draft strength directly correlates to the difference between indoor and outdoor temperature.