Insulate around SS liner or not????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

archer292

Jan 3, 2008
LI NY
I recently had a Clydesdale installed and the liner used was a single wall SS flex pipe. It is not insulated and the installer used no insulation what so ever when he installed it. Should he have? I'm not sure if I'm right in my thinking or if I'm understanding what I have been reading on the site entirely but I think I should pop the cap and insulate around the liner and then seal it ( it wasn't sealed correctly anyway) and then remove the surround and insulate the liner around the damper area and install a block off plate. Am I getting this right????? If so, what type of insulation do I need? How far down from the top cap should I stuff it or should I even bother with the insulation up there? Can the insulation be packed right against the liner at the top as well as in the damper area? I apologize for all the questions but I want to get it right the first time seeing as I don't think the installer did. Thanks.

Anthony

Does your chimney have clay tiles in it? Did you have a Level II inspection done by a certified sweep? Does it meet all the guidelines of NFPA 211?

If you answer yes to all those then you don't need insulation.

There are many other posts about insulating liners and block-off plates. Have a look around.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14610/

Since its already down you could use a pour in insulation like thermix or vermiculite. You would need to install a block off plate first though, otherwise it will fall all the way down.

I wasn't asking if the install was up to code but if I should do these things for the best performance of the insert. I can answer one question, the chimney has clay tiles. As for as the certified sweep and the NFPA 211 guidelines, I have no idea. An inspection from the dealer was all that I had. I wasn't aware I needed this inspection.

Is the existing chimney interior to the house or exterior.

jtp is correct. If this is an exterior chimney, anything you can do to stop from heating the outdoors with the system will help. Insulated liner & block off plate will help keep the flue cleaner and the stove hotter .

To answer your question, yes. How do you get it done now? Big question without a direct answer. There are insulation kits made for your SS liner. But that would require you to remove the ss liner, add the insulation, then re-install. You may or may not have enough room in your clay chimney for this type of insulation to fit.

The next option, like mentioned earlier (and what I would do if in your shoes), is to make sure a block off plate was installed, and if not, then get one installed. Block of plates should be installed at the lower end of the liner run and at the upper. Do a search on the term "block off plate" and you will see what I mean. Anyways. once the lower block off plate is installed, you can fill the cavity between the liner and the clay with vermiculite by just pouring it in. Then install a top block off plate and thats that.

Usually a stove will run alot better with an insulated chimney, and liner will stay cleaner as well. What happens is the exhaust gases cool and condense on the inside of the liner requiring more frequent cleanings, and there is less draw on a cold chimney, so start ups may be an issue with smoke and a slow or mild draw till things are heated up.

If there is no lower block off plate, I would get on the phone with your installer and complain, you may get him to come out and install one. Good luck, KD

Status
Not open for further replies.