insulated chimney 4 inches below the ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparksalot

Aug 21, 2006
Montana
I know this has probably been covered but i thought i read that you have to insulated chimney 4 inches below the ceililng...can't it just come into the collar...sorry i don't know the terminology but from there up i have insulated chimney...maybe i did it wrong....ughhhh!!!

The class A should come down into the room some and then transition to a trim ring and a close clearance adaptor then go to the stove connector pipe. Also you can use a ceiling support box which should hang down into the room a few inches. The Connector pipe connects directly to the support box.

This is a question that does not get asked much. It deals with the clearances from single wall pipe on a diagonal. As jtp says, a ceiling support box or roof support box-type will solve this problem, but there is still the question of how far inside to hang insulated piping when using a "rafter" type support. This is a clamp which holds the pipe at the roof level and allows some to hang below. Some brands sell this as a piece of pipe with the clamp already attached.

When single wall is used to connect to these roof supports, the instructions call for 18" of clearances to combustibles on a level plane....as per the drawing below (Selkirk). The makers sell large trim rings for these applications - or, you can hand extra chimney (or double wall connector) down into the room - this will serve to reduce the amount of ceiling combustibles that must be cut back.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    52 KB · Views: 253
Status
Not open for further replies.