Insulated liner in 9” round clay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smolder

Dec 25, 2019
Ashton, Ontario
Hello!

I’ve been burning for just over a week. This is a wood stove retrofit into an existing chimney in an 1880s home in Ontario Canada. The stove is an Ashford 30. Chimney is 45’ from the ground or about 35-37’ from the top of the stove.

This was lined with an uninsulated stainless liner. Drafts like a boss. Masonry gets about 4-5c hotter on the surface of the chimney on the second floor above the stove.

The house is triple brick construction. The chimney bumps towards the inside of the house rather than out. It’s about a brick and half width into the house (maybe a touch more). The clay flue liner is 9” round (so I guess about 7” or so interior, maybe a touch more). It is mortared into the center of the chimney. They actually cut bricks all the way up to hold that flue in nice and tight.

I was doing a routine check of of the inside bricks and found a hotspot in a second bedroom close to the chimney. I shut the stove down, and today i took a chisel to the spot and found a rusty steel cap, and hehind that a pile of old soot, an opening into the flue and my liner. Probably a parlor stove from way back.

I could brick this up fairly easily but I’m concerned this may not be the entire solution.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 10A70AAF-2D4D-4C08-8D96-D1AD759F834F.jpeg
    10A70AAF-2D4D-4C08-8D96-D1AD759F834F.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 139
  • E1F122CD-B360-49BD-8DC2-E8A0AA2B3E37.jpeg
    E1F122CD-B360-49BD-8DC2-E8A0AA2B3E37.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 137
  • 64DBE17B-57BD-487E-B79D-BFE22F0CD02D.jpeg
    64DBE17B-57BD-487E-B79D-BFE22F0CD02D.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 74C572D5-91E4-4849-9A01-DCC105C53483.jpeg
    74C572D5-91E4-4849-9A01-DCC105C53483.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 132
When I removed our fireplace I found 2 hidden takeoff taps behind sheetrock and plaster. One actually had wood exposed in it that showed signs of pyrolysis. This is why one should always have an insulated liner, especially in an older home with unknown history.

Reactions: Smolder
When I removed our fireplace I found 2 hidden takeoff taps behind sheetrock and plaster. One actually had wood exposed in it that showed signs of pyrolysis. This is why one should always have an insulated liner, especially in an older home with unknown history.

This place is a history mystery for sure. Lots of unique ideas were applied along the way. Fortunately most of it’s construction is super straight forward, just in no way common anymore.

I would like to switch to an insulated liner. Some of the pre-insulated liners seem like they could fit. Stove has a 5.5” that drafts nicely now.

I think forever flex makes a 5.5” pre-insulated liner that is 6 13/16”. Maybe that might fit.

Seth

I’m beyond discouraged. Thought the installer did a great job until i found out about the clearances with the non-insulated liner and all that... having to smash out tile would make this so much more expensive.

I’m beyond discouraged. Thought the installer did a great job until i found out about the clearances with the non-insulated liner and all that... having to smash out tile would make this so much more expensive.
Breaking out round liners is almost impossible. It certainly looks like there is enough room for insulation in there

In addition the flue should have been scanned and all unused Crocks should have been properly closed with brick and mortar

Reactions: Smolder
Breaking out round liners is almost impossible. It certainly looks like there is enough room for insulation in there

I was thinking it might be harder. It’s well supported as well, brick right up to the liner, and mortared in. Have you ever fit an insulated liner in a 7 inch and change flue?

In addition the flue should have been scanned and all unused Crocks should have been properly closed with brick and mortar

This would be the last one. I’ve seen down the top, I’ve seem up the bottom. I’ve seen from the stove pipe hole. I’ll fill that with brick and mortar, wasn’t sure what was acceptable, thank you.

I was thinking it might be harder. It’s well supported as well, brick right up to the liner, and mortared in. Have you ever fit an insulated liner in a 7 inch and change flue?
No I haven't.