Insulated pipe to black pipe above roof line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnsolo

Feb 6, 2014
Michigan
I installed a wood stove a week ago an have not had any problems until today.
The stove is installed on a 1 story section of the house, the chimney is approximately 9 ft from the second story wall an is a height of 3+ft from the first story roof. The winds are south west today an created a draft back into the house, filling with smoke.

Does this mean I need to make the chimney taller? if so how much? The pipe coming out of the roof is double wall insulated can I add on to that pipe with black pipe?

You can, but only for a test. To see if it fixes the issue. Anything outside of the house still needs to be chimney.
It still may not be fixed. Then you would need to use a cap called a vacu-stack. It's designed to solve this issue. http://vacustack.com/
And by code, it does need extended so its 2' higher than anything within 10' in any direction.

Well you need to be 2 feet higher than anything with in 10 ft so according to what you said yes you need to go taller.

Thank you for the reply's! That is what I figured, I went an bought some more A vent an a few braces. Hopefully it fixs the probem.

I hope it works out for you

Me too, this is my first for burning wood. I love it so much better than gas heat..
Next year I hope to have a better stove, I have a Vogelzang box stove an it seems to be a chore to work this thing.

Me too, this is my first for burning wood. I love it so much better than gas heat..
Next year I hope to have a better stove, I have a Vogelzang box stove an it seems to be a chore to work this thing.
Ohh, well heck. That is probably the biggest problem! These stoves are literally see thru. Cracks and gaps everywhere. A normal stove might not smoke out like this. Not to mention triple your burn times

Status
Not open for further replies.