Insulating A 3 Season Porch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Ok, me and the boss have been debating whether or not it might help to insulate the roof and floor of our 3 season porch. It's got single pane sliding glass doors all the way around for walls, the roof is aluminum and has 2" ridges where I could lay in some 2" styrofoam but would have to lay a new roof over that. I was thinking of some of that cheap light weight plastic roofing. The floor would be easy to insulate having 16" on center 2x8 truses.

We would like to sit out there in the milder winter days but don't really know if insulating it would even help with all the single pane glass out there. You guys think it would be a waste of time and money? Some day I'd like to just rip the whole thing out and do it up right with insulated walls, roof and good windows but I figure that would take $20k.

Here are some pics. Thanks

Attachments

• 100_1155.jpg
    100_1155.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 719
  • 100_1156.jpg
    100_1156.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 858
  • 100_1157.jpg
    100_1157.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 595
And some more.

Attachments

• 100_1158.jpg
    100_1158.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 100_1159.jpg
    100_1159.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 489
  • 100_1160.jpg
    100_1160.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 488
I would think it would depend on the orientation--do you get a lot of sun through those windows. If not, probably wouldn't make much difference as there wouldn't be all that much heat to keep in.

S

Just shove a blaze king big king in there, and call it good!

thinkxingu said:
I would think it would depend on the orientation--do you get a lot of sun through those windows. If not, probably wouldn't make much difference as there wouldn't be all that much heat to keep in.

S

2nd that. Unless you have a lot of heat coming in from the sun via windows or roof or some other inside source I can't see how it be worth it to insulate.

It faces ESE so it heats up pretty good in the morning if there's sun. It gets too hot at times in the summer. It may get some heat from my wood stove that's about 20' away.

Todd,
If it's warm most of the time, try throwing some insulation in the bays below--most of the additions around here are cold because they're raised off the ground and the air flow kills the heat. Of course, you'll need to do something about the roof as well, but insulation's cheap enough to throw in.

S

Todd said:
It faces ESE so it heats up pretty good in the morning if there's sun. It gets too hot at times in the summer. It may get some heat from my wood stove that's about 20' away.

Maybe its worth doing some insulation then.

You could put some foam board underneath the roof easily enough. You might be able to build some frames covered with clear plastic sheeting to increase the sliding doors' R value which is almost nothing. There have been discussions about that in the Green Room. Some fiberglass batts or foam in between the floor joists would help a lot too. I'd make sure all the drafts were sealed off first though. Insulation doesn't do much good if cold air is blowing in. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.