1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Insulating a Insert in a Masonary Fireplace

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrotherBart, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I need to get you folks view on something. I am ready to push the big insert back into my masonary fireplace after liner install and extensive maintenance. For the liner installs I purchased a large quantity of Roxul mineral wool insulation. After chimney stuffing etc. I have enough left to stuff the back and sides of the fireplace as well as lay batts on top of the insert when I push it back to cut down on heat loss through the masonary.

Any gotchas in this plan that I am not thinking of? The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is that the housing around the stove isn't near the gauge of the fire box. But convection is so good with the stove even without the blowers on that I think air flow will keep the housing from getting too hot. Especially since my days of running if like a blast furnace are over.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I think this would increase the heat to the room and can't think of the down side given your situation.
  3. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Unless the manual tells you not to due to the risk of overheating It will probably help. I cannot recall any wood inserts that advise against this, though some gas ones do.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks guys. I did it and then test fired the stove this morning to see the effect of all the changes I have made. Liner, insulation, gaskets, etc and to season the new paint.

That insulation bit is slick. When the stove got up to 400 I wanted to see how air was moving out of the shroud over the firebox without the blowers running. Usually a flame held up to the opening in the shroud will bend with the currents coming out. After the insulation job it blows out the flame on a butane stove lighter. Yikes!

And the draft on the thing now has me thinking about a fence to keep the cat away from the intake.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.