Insulating a Insert in a Masonary Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I need to get you folks view on something. I am ready to push the big insert back into my masonary fireplace after liner install and extensive maintenance. For the liner installs I purchased a large quantity of Roxul mineral wool insulation. After chimney stuffing etc. I have enough left to stuff the back and sides of the fireplace as well as lay batts on top of the insert when I push it back to cut down on heat loss through the masonary.

Any gotchas in this plan that I am not thinking of? The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is that the housing around the stove isn't near the gauge of the fire box. But convection is so good with the stove even without the blowers on that I think air flow will keep the housing from getting too hot. Especially since my days of running if like a blast furnace are over.

Unless the manual tells you not to due to the risk of overheating It will probably help. I cannot recall any wood inserts that advise against this, though some gas ones do.

Thanks guys. I did it and then test fired the stove this morning to see the effect of all the changes I have made. Liner, insulation, gaskets, etc and to season the new paint.

That insulation bit is slick. When the stove got up to 400 I wanted to see how air was moving out of the shroud over the firebox without the blowers running. Usually a flame held up to the opening in the shroud will bend with the currents coming out. After the insulation job it blows out the flame on a butane stove lighter. Yikes!

And the draft on the thing now has me thinking about a fence to keep the cat away from the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.