Insulating above insert with roxul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
I just got some roxul from Home Depot and want to know how much insulation should I put up above the stove. Should I just cram as much as I can or just a little

I do not have an insert however I can speak about Roxul: cramming it will lose the insulation value. If you can put a layer of it (3.5 inches), it will add an insulating value of R14 which is significant.

However, some others who are much more experienced in this will chime in and be able to guide you more...

ANdrew

I stuffed my smoke shelf and fireplace damper where the line passes recently with Roxul. I just cut strips (5" x 16") and stuffed as many of them I could into the smoke shelf. Then I cut out a two peices that fit flush against the area where the liner passes through. This is held up by steel insulation hangers. It makes a huge difference in heat. There's another post out here from someone that has pictures of what I am talking about.

I think I got three full batts in mine. I just kept ripping chunks off and stuffing them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.