Insulating Garn barn/Garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RowCropRenegade

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Southwest, Ohio
I'm having a hard time getting foam guys to call me back. Closest one is on opposite side of state. Charging 600 to come out. $ 4000 for 2 lb closed cell foam, 2 inches, to do this:

1) Foam over microflex, waterline from garnbarn into house. 1 inch.

2) Use a layer of roxel around Garn, then spray with the foam. 2 inches at least. I'm considering wrapping it in stainless if the beans yield well.

3) Put 1.5 inches in the perimeter of the building and ceiling. 12x24. 2 x 6 walls not framed in. So more expense in framing in walls if i chose fiberglass.

My question is in regards to air circulation. Since I'm cutting off airflow through the walls, their must be some type of fan or air exchanger to put in. Considering there is 2000 gallons of 205 degree water and wood releasing moisture into the room. What's the best solution to deal with that air tight room?

The other idea is to put in 2 inch XPS board, taping the joints with tyvec tape, put r-30 fiberglass over that.

My goal here is to have supreme insulation, that lasts double the lifetime of the Garn and not be afraid to spend the big bucks to achieve that.

If this is Icynene that your looking to spray, maybe look into closed cell spray foam like they use on commercial roofs. Lots of gravel roofs have spray foam underneath.
http://www.icynene.com/dealer-locator/#

I'm looking into this for my storage tanks. Looks like it will work and dealer says OK. Maybe not cheaper than Icynene but you could do Garn and walls and get somebody closer, look for commercial contractors.
http://www.certainteed.com/products/insulation/spray-foam

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.