insulating liner with thermix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thermix may some applications but pouring it down around a chimney liner especially by someone who has never done it before is not one of them. The chance that they will get the required 1'' around the liner is slim to none. Also I have seen too many times where the once hard insulation turns into a almost vermiculite like material and pours out in the clean out door from the expansion and contraction of the stainless steel liner.

• Sad
Reactions: TomasB
Thermix may some applications but pouring it down around a chimney liner especially by someone who has never done it before is not one of them. The chance that they will get the required 1'' around the liner is slim to none. Also I have seen too many times where the once hard insulation turns into a almost vermiculite like material and pours out in the clean out door from the expansion and contraction of the stainless steel liner.
I Agree it is not the best for a diyer butto say you cant do a professional job with it is just incorrect. And it does not pour out the bottom if it is mixed and installed correctly

We are getting off track about helping the original poster, so this will be my last post about the subject. In a standard 16x16 or 16x21 block chimney or equivalent brick chimney it is next to impossible to get the 1'' required insulation around a stainless steel chimney liner especially in chimneys over 20'. There are no methods to center a flexible stainless steel liner and I have had even the manufactures agree on this subject.
Im not saying it can't be done but every Liner that I have seen with this mix around it has been incorrect. Im sure that your work does not fall in this category as you obviously care enough about people to help with your posts. Without proper training this mix should not be used and even in cases where the training is available it is an easy way for installers to cut corners. Thanks, like I said this will be respectfully be my last post on the subject in this thread.

• Sad
Reactions: TomasB and bholler
I agree in those cases you are correct and it would be better to wrap the liner there. WE use thermix on old brick chimneys where the interior has started to degrade the thermix helps to stabilize the interior brick or stone or what ever in those cases. Also there are several centering rings on the market. In reference to the op yes i would much rather see the tiles broken out and see it properly insulated (which is probably what i would do if i did the job or if break out was not feasible i would ovalize). But unless the op is going to pull the liner and pay to have the liners broken out thermix is the next best option. Like i said before it will not bring it up to code it will not be properly insulted but it will be better than nothing and especially with the configuration of their old liner it will protect the house from heat transfer pretty well. I really am happy to see another csia sweep on here

hi. i have question on insulation...
i have brick chimney 12"x12"x25"+
SS liner 6".
im thinking about mix insulation.
what is the best brand for mix insulation and where i can buy it.
anybody can help???

hi. i have question on insulation...
i have brick chimney 12"x12"x25"+
SS liner 6".
im thinking about mix insulation.
what is the best brand for mix insulation and where i can buy it.
anybody can help???
Why use pour in over wrap? In your case i would absolutely wrap it.

Agreed. There's lots of wiggle room there.

installation of liner was very difficult. my chimney has offset and is not straight down. i had company put that liner in and that was difficult.
i don`t wanna take out liner if i don`t have to.

Really it was difficult in a 12 by 12? That must be one nasty offset. To fill that space you are going to need at least 10 bags. There are allot of brands out there and i haven't heard any complaints about any of them. We typically use thermix but there are many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.