Insulating studs from stove/chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knots

Minister of Fire
Mar 13, 2013
Alfred, Maine
Just got my class A chimney installed - and none too soon judging by the forecast.

The chimney is near the studs that support the stairwell. A little over 13" from the (soon to be single-wall) pipe to the studs (the second pic is dark, but you can see it at the top).

The chimney install guy said to use either sheet metal or cement board, and to space it 1" away from the studs.

Is this the right thing to do?

DSC02156.JPG DSC02157.JPG

Reactions: Swedishchef
That is one option. Another would be to attach shields to the pipe.
http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Group-BM0133-Adjustable-Shield/dp/B000DZQR3Q
Another option (and best IMO) would be to use double-wall stove pipe for the connector.

How are you doing on the stove clearance requirements? Will those be easy to meet?

PS: before enclosing the wall to the stairway you might want to experiment with an opening in the stairwell wall to facilitate heat convection up the stairwell. I would try a 14" x 14" hole. If it really helps, put a 16 x 16" non-louvered grille over it. If not, put the cut out piece back in and tape it up.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Just got my class A chimney installed - and none too soon judging by the forecast.

The chimney is near the studs that support the stairwell. A little over 13" from the (soon to be single-wall) pipe to the studs (the second pic is dark, but you can see it at the top).

The chimney install guy said to use either sheet metal or cement board, and to space it 1" away from the studs.

Is this the right thing to do?

View attachment 143876 View attachment 143877
Not to be off your subject but that flex duct in the back round , you should pull it tight and take out all the slack in it ! The dipsy doos makes it 5 fold ! Even though you may have a 5' run with a dip in it ,it would really add resistance to the air flow, and make it seem like you have a 25' run. Any way looks like your doing a good job renovating it. Keep up the good work.

That is one option. Another would be to attach shields to the pipe.
http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Group-BM0133-Adjustable-Shield/dp/B000DZQR3Q
Another option (and best IMO) would be to use double-wall stove pipe for the connector.

How are you doing on the stove clearance requirements? Will those be easy to meet?

PS: before enclosing the wall to the stairway you might want to experiment with an opening in the stairwell wall to facilitate heat convection up the stairwell. I would try a 14" x 14" hole. If it really helps, put a 16 x 16" non-louvered grille over it. If not, put the cut out piece back in and tape it up.

Hmmm...double wall might be a good idea. The picture below shows (roughly) how I was going to run single-wall to put the stove a little further away from the wall and have a clean out. Looking for suggestions on a configuration that makes sense. The stove is a Jotul F55 and it's not obvious to me how you would clean it out if the stove was directly below the chimney. Nothing in the manual. I was gonna stop by the stove shop and ask them how they do it.

I would like to leave the stair well as-is. This is a utility basement and won't be finished. The vent sounds like a good idea as along as it doesn't go against code.
DSC02158.JPG

Not to be off your subject but that flex duct in the back round , you should pull it tight and take out all the slack in it ! The dipsy doos makes it 5 fold ! Even though you may have a 5' run with a dip in it ,it would really add resistance to the air flow, and make it seem like you have a 25' run. Any way looks like your doing a good job renovating it. Keep up the good work.

The flex duct in the background is actually two ducts for an ERV system that connect to the outside and the intake in the floor. They are routed as efficient and straight as possible. Tough to tell from the pic, but that's as good as it gets.

This is a basement in a new house and it will stay utilitarian. It does, however, need to be cleaned-up and organized. _g

I live in Buxton, right around the corner from you. Your stove location is very similar to mine except I have a concrete block chimney. My stove is on the back side of the basement stairwell and I use under the stairs as my woodbox. One thing I did this year that seems to make a big difference is added 16 inch square louvered vents into the sheetrock in the stairwell at the top. I feel way more heat making it upstairs now.

I live in Buxton, right around the corner from you. Your stove location is very similar to mine except I have a concrete block chimney. My stove is on the back side of the basement stairwell and I use under the stairs as my woodbox. One thing I did this year that seems to make a big difference is added 16 inch square louvered vents into the sheetrock in the stairwell at the top. I feel way more heat making it upstairs now.

You put the vents in the walls on the sides of the stairwell?

Yes, right under the floor joists for the first floor. The heat from the woodstove rises and pours through those vents and up the stairwell. When you walk by the open door in my kitchen it feels like a fan blowing hot air up.

Hmmm...double wall might be a good idea. The picture below shows (roughly) how I was going to run single-wall to put the stove a little further away from the wall and have a clean out. Looking for suggestions on a configuration that makes sense. The stove is a Jotul F55 and it's not obvious to me how you would clean it out if the stove was directly below the chimney. Nothing in the manual. I was gonna stop by the stove shop and ask them how they do it.

I would like to leave the stair well as-is. This is a utility basement and won't be finished. The vent sounds like a good idea as along as it doesn't go against code.

Double wall pipe will simplify this installation a lot. It will look better too. For cleaning install an adjustable slip joint section of double-wall on the bottom end of the pipe. Not sure if there is another alternative with your stove. Please post what the dealer recommends.

Please post what the dealer recommends.

Will do.

The Jotul manual says that using double wall pipe will allow 12" from the center of the pipe (9" from the back of the stove) to an unprotected wall. I'm sure the manufacturer has a small margin built in to that measurement, but I hate to be near the minimum.

A protected wall only reduces that by an inch, which would be that same inch of material required to space away from the wall.

Double wall with a flue collar shield gets it down to 6" from an unprotected wall.

OK - I decided to go with the double wall since it will give a better margin of safety to the studded wall (allows for 6" minimum and I'll be 13"). Also, it allows me to put it closer to the wall and free up some valuable floor space in the basement.

Following up: I got the Olympia double-wall. I'm going to put some protection on the studded wall even though I;'m above the minimums for the unprotected wall. Here's the install and the first fire.
DSC02164.JPG

Breakin fire! Looking good! If the heat doesn't quickly go upstairs consider putting a large grille vent between the stairwell studs.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you building walls? Won't that prevent heat from spreading?

Breakin fire! Looking good! If the heat doesn't quickly go upstairs consider putting a large grille vent between the stairwell studs.

That won't violate the fire code? Isn't that why the drywall is there? I dunno.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you building walls? Won't that prevent heat from spreading?

Because I'm near the min clearance. It'll help me sleep better. I'm only going to put something up right behind the stove.

Because I'm near the min clearance. It'll help me sleep better. I'm only going to put something up right behind the stove.
The min clearance to what?

The min clearance to what?

The manual give min clearances to unprotected walls. I'm very close to that min at one of the studs near the corner of the stove.

Why don't you just put up a small steel/glass panel on that side of the stove.

Yep - that's what I'm planning on doing.
Oh, sorry, my mistake, I thought you were putting up the wall as protection.

No - that's the side of the stairwell. LOL I'm gonna need that.

Status
Not open for further replies.