insulating underground storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plhallwd

Oct 20, 2011
mid.mich.
would like to know if anyone has had underground storage more than one year? How many inches of close cell spray used? how do you like it.I have no water problems .Insulator man said,2" I think it is to thin.Burning Chunk how do you like your system? attack 35 1000 gal. storage

No underground storage but be advised that spray foam will pick up water in soils that hold water.
In the worst case scenario, you will lose half your insulation value. 2" ain't enough.

When I worked in industry, the only insulation we would put underground was foamglass. It does not absorb moisture and doesnt get compressed. The R value is not as good as foam.

There are many people on the board that have done the spray foam for under ground lines, are you talking about closed cell foam?

Two inches is R14, R7 per inch. That does not seem like much for storage.

gg

Closed cell is what should be used. Open cell is going to saturate like a sponge and as you mentioned the insulation value is half closed cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.