Insulation behind Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike bove

Hearth Supporter
Sep 10, 2008
va
HI - Love this forum
I am a new member but have been lurking for a long time. I currently have a quadrafire 3100I insert in a prefab fireplace. Would like to know if I can put high temp 2100 degree insulation in the fire box behind the unit. I have an outside chimney. Is there any concerns, like what if some is touching the stove? Would try to keep an airspace between insulation and stove.
Thank you!!

I am not sure. Do you think that you are loosing that much heat out the rear of the insert? What do ou hope to gain with the insulation? Hopefully someone that knows about the insulation will respond to you. Jeff

Due you have a damper block off plate installed?
If not, thats the first thing I suggest to keep the heat from going up.

I wrapped my Lopi Answer insert with mineral wool insulation from McMaster-Carr. It (the stove) burned hotter, and I didn;t feel compelled to use the blower all the time to get the heat out. It made it a much nicer stove as far as keeping a fire going and keeping the glass clean. As you'd expect though it did not extend the burn time, which was the major complaint with the small firebox. A new Fireview is going in this fall.

Be careful not to overfire! Get and use a thermometer.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replys. And i dont have ablock off plate. my manual came with an addendum stating that i cant block off air flow with an air cooled chimney on top and iguess on the bottom. And I was wondering with all this talk about outside chimneys if I could slow heat transfer to the outside. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.