Insulation in place of damper block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windgate

Jan 8, 2014
Delmarva
I have a Breckwell pellet stove insert in an existing brick fireplace/chimney. I obtained it from the previous owner of our house when we purchased. I discovered that the previous owner vented the pellet stove into the chimney with a 3in – 6ft long section of rigid flexible pipe and “blocked off” the resulting gap in the damper (after the 3in pipe passed through) with fiberglass insulation. We used the stove in this configuration for two winters without any issues. Judging by the age of the stove, I assume that the previous owners used it in this configuration for 10+ years.

At the beginning of this season I removed the stove, pipe, and insulation and had the chimney cleaned by a professional. He informed me that it would be better to have a liner installed to the top of the chimney. While the stove has been removed I have thoroughly cleaned both the stove and exhaust pipe.

Understand that the liner is the best solution and plan to install or have this company install one in another year or two, but in the mean time I would like to use the stove in the previous configuration for a few seasons.

My question: Can I re-install in the previous configuration and use fire-resistant stone wool batt insulation (Roxul Safe N Sound) to fill the gap at the damper? Is the main issue in this configuration the ash building on top of the insulation?

Concerns are carbon monoxide infiltration into the house, creosote and ash build up in the chimney ...

Status
Not open for further replies.