insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokeburner

Dec 3, 2008
southern ohio
What type of insulation is best used to seal up between the cover plate for an insert and the outside fireplae wall. Is regular pipe wrapping fiberglass insulation ok .

Probably want to use rockwool / Kaowool / mineral wool of some sort - not fiberglass. Definitely not any kind of foam.

May help if you can offer some more details about the specific application (stove brand/model, photos/sketches, etc.)

If nothing else, you get a free bump from me :) good luck!

Not sure why you would want to, unless you don't have ablock off plate.

If you have a blockoff plate, then the heated air behind the surround can escape out the cracks. If you do want to seal it, fiberglass is combustible, so don't put it inside the clearances required for the stove. The other option is rockwool (Brand name Roxul or equivilant), and I wouldn't want the fibres to become airborne in my house. It is less soluble in your lungs than fiberglass, and you will end up with some in the air if you are using it to airseal. The last option is ceramic wool - worse than Roxul for the same reason.

If you focus on a blockoff plate, you won't need either, and based on the comments here, you will get more heat from your stove. Do a search on blockoff plates, and see what you think.

Fiberglass is fairly NON-combustible. The paper facings are highly combustible. Cellulose insulation is highly combustible. But if you find a way to make fiberglass (sand / glass wool) go past melting and on to burning, man you got bigger problems :)

That said, I would not use it in this application - i'd go with mineral wool.

But then again, the blockoff plate is far and away the best option. I guess I read "cover plate" as meaning some kind of blockoff plate.

yeah its the big plate that the insert bolts to i have a better n bens insert so theres nothing in the firelace it bolts right to the plate the block off plate is a really good idea im a welder so it shouldnt be to difficult just tryin to fit it up there while gettin stove back in is the problem ill post some pictures when i get home

Ed

True, it will take a lot for the stuff to burn. I once made the mistake of packing the pass thru thimble with it, and it does start to burn. Not sure if an inspector will look at the install, so I try to stick to the technical definition of "non combustible". Roxul meets it, fibreglass, not so much.

brokeburner

I assume you have a liner attached to the flue outlet, so the plate will do very well. You can seal the edges of the plate where it meets the brick with high temp silicone, but you will need stove cement around the liner.

As for the surround, you could use gasket rope there - stable stuff, easy to handle and fit.

How about posting a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.