Interchangeability of parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

You'refired

Dec 12, 2017
Canada
Always been curious as to how exclusive parts really are for pellet stove, specifically blowers. I was looking at a friend's stove the other day and his blower looked almost the same as mine but we have stoves from different manufacturers. Are things like exhaust blowers really only able to be used for the stove they are labelled for? If not what makes them not compatible?

No, a lot of parts can be interchangeable. Auger motors and blowers are generally vendor parts purchased by the stove manufacturer. Fasco makes a bunch of blowers. You can find auger motors made by a few different manufacturers. Direction of rotation and RPM can vary so you need to get the right ones. I think voltage is usually the same but you should make sure all the specs match before swapping parts. Circuit cards are probably unique to the manufacturer. Switches and sensors are usually generic. You should do your research and know what you're doing before swapping parts willy-nilly. There are a lot of people that know what they're doing on this forum so if you're thinking of substituting parts, ask first from someone knowledgeable about your stove. When in doubt, go OEM.