Interested in info on venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoshu

Jul 26, 2015
New Hampshire
Hello everyone, we are currently looking into buying a harman pellet stove. I am having trouble finding out info on choosing which path to take for venting. We own a 2400 sq foot home with two 40 foot chimneys that are both in good shape and have been inspected and ready to go. But I am curious if there is pros and cons to doing a 40 ft liner up the chimney or just venting through the basement wall. Either way We are planning on putting the stove in the finished basement and adding vents through the floor. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can liner that up the chimney of you have access to a clue not served by another appliance. Use a 4" liner kit. Lining a chimney top to bottom is the safest way to do it and the liner will in effect remedy any issues the chimney may have. Chimneys that aren't good or need repair to make them useful again usually are relined to solve the issue.mits cheaper than repairing the clay flue nearly all of the time. If you want to knock out a hole in the sill plate you can always do that too but I'm guessing it will cost more in venting for 4" through a sill. Good luck!

FYI, it's against for code to knock out vents in the floors unless the vents are mechanically able to close should a fire spread. all houses are different. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you know what you are doing. It can be done but it's not usually recommended. You may have problems with inspection or selling the home later on, best case scenario.

You can liner that up the chimney of you have access to a clue not served by another appliance.

What if you don't have a clue? >> Sorry, I usually pass those but the devil made me do it.

Reactions: smwilliamson
I would rethink cutting holes in your floors, even if it wasn't against code. I did that very thing, put a P61A in the basement - which in theory should have warmed up twice the house I have.My 650 sq/ft basement was about 90 degrees while my 950/sq ft main floor struggled to stay in the low 60's on the really cold days. Oh the stove put out quite enough heat, but even with 6 vents, with high volume fans to bring up the heat (and blowing cold air down), and the stairway door removed, the heat would not rise to give me an adequate temperature for living. So what it amounted to was I put lots of holes in my nice wood floors (the only nice thing about this house when I bought it) and still ended up putting another stove on the main floor.

You may, get enough air circulation to bring plenty of warm air up thru your stairway, but the only way to tell for sure is put a heat source down there and try it out (rent a propane or electric heater of sufficient BTU power to try it out). However, that test is best done when cold, not this week when it is supposed to be hot and humid all week :)

PS - there will be plenty of people that will tell you that you will be fine with that set up, and other who didn't fair so well. Each house and configuration is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.