Interesting article...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreBug

Minister of Fire
Oct 6, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
"$1,000 stove incentive could reduce as much fossil fuel as a $10,000 solar incentive, drive consumers toward low-emitting units and help ordinary Americans afford their utility bills."

“In this age of retracting government budgets, we show that renewable energy can still move forward if we focus on technologies accessible to even low-income families, and not focus on the ultra-expensive ones that require generous government subsidies.â€

the entire article here...

http://biomassmagazine.com/articles/5650/wood-heat-dominates-despite-lack-of-incentives/

A friend of mine looked into a geothermal system a while ago. I think he said it would have cost him in the neighborhood of 20K all said and done. Compared to that, a $2K wood stove with a $2K flue liner install seems like a drop in the bucket.

I haven't read the article yet but will. I agree though that too many times people want to focus on new things that are ultra expensive. I keep wondering how many dollars we have saved over the 50+ years we have burned wood and we have not spent that many dollars except for our last stove and new chimney, but spread that cost over many years and it is a huge savings.

The bloom is off the geothermal rose for me. I've seen two nightmare installs and have heard "ehh" in varying degrees from a number of others who made the plunge. If I had $.05/kwH then yes but we're closer to $.15/kwH.

Trees are solar powered batteries that stay charged, are non-toxic, self-replicate, and can be processed with tools I find in my garage.

btuser said:
The bloom is off the geothermal rose for me. I've seen two nightmare installs and have heard "ehh" in varying degrees from a number of others who made the plunge. If I had $.05/kwH then yes but we're closer to $.15/kwH.

Trees are solar powered batteries that stay charged, are non-toxic, self-replicate, and can be processed with tools I find in my garage.

You sir, are a true Poet. :)

Of course a wood stove is more economical and efficient than a geothermal or solar system. A bike is more efficient than a prius also but we don't have too many lawmakers, lobbyists, political activists or other "pig milkers" who have any use for a bike or wood stove.

I own a wood stove and a geothermal system (for my house). I also own a commercial scale solar system. The wood stove is by far the most economical, of course that requires the chief woodsplitter to be physically fit. Woodstove won't work for Grandma.

Status
Not open for further replies.