Interesting Cartoon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
The%2Billusion%2Bof%2BSuccess.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I think of this with sailing too......
The guy out on the boat he got for free or for $1,000 is having the same experience, or often better, than the 130K boat.
The wind, water, sun, etc. is exactly the same.........in fact, you often feel better because you are closer to nature. The fancy boat is mostly cabin and has a 200 watt stereo blasting....or a diesel motor helping it along (and smelling).

It's the old "attachment" thing.........

Bicycle riding can be like that if you ride in the right places.

I think of this with sailing too......
The guy out on the boat he got for free or for $1,000 is having the same experience, or often better, than the 130K boat..........
This is so true. I used to help other people race their big sailboats. Lots of work before the race, during the race, and after the race. Then I started racing Laser class sailboats. What a blast. It's not the size of the boat, but the skill of the coxswain that makes it fun. Same thing in life.

I am trying to be less "successful".

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I am so happy to drive my 13 year old car. I don't care if someone "dings" my door, I know that I payed it off 10 years ago and I don't like change! Sometimes I'll drive my new truck which is almost 9 years old now. :cool:

This is so true. I used to help other people race their big sailboats. Lots of work before the race, during the race, and after the race. Then I started racing Laser class sailboats. What a blast. It's not the size of the boat, but the skill of the coxswain that makes it fun. Same thing in life.
I learned to sail on lasers, used to have a blast! Makes you feel like you're part of the water. Haven't sailed in years though. Unfortunately I have that drive followed by 30 mins on the subway. Boo!

I learned to sail on lasers, used to have a blast! Makes you feel like you're part of the water. Haven't sailed in years though. Unfortunately I have that drive followed by 30 mins on the subway. Boo!

If my new boat comes through, you get a free ride if you can drive all the way down to Portsmouth RI for an afternoon.
(supposed to get boat shown in Avatar about June 5 or so)

If my new boat comes through, you get a free ride if you can drive all the way down to Portsmouth RI for an afternoon.
(supposed to get boat shown in Avatar about June 5 or so)
Wow, that would be amazing, good luck getting the boat. My Mom actually lives near by in Newport.

People spend their lives striving for status, cars, jewelry, big houses- when they get them they want more.

My starter wife was enough of a torture, I think, to make me appreciate the small things and living in a moment. Sort of a matrimonial "vision quest" :)

Tonight- I have to put down our 12 year old rabbit that's having severe issues.This is the third to go in the past 6 months- all lived long lives. I'll cry, then I'll watch the Bruins game 7, drink a beer and scream my head off at the TV. Life goes on. Live in the moment.

People spend their lives striving for status, cars, jewelry, big houses- when they get them they want more.

My starter wife was enough of a torture, I think, to make me appreciate the small things and living in a moment. Sort of a matrimonial "vision quest" :)

Tonight- I have to put down our 12 year old rabbit that's having severe issues.This is the third to go in the past 6 months- all lived long lives. I'll cry, then I'll watch the Bruins game 7, drink a beer and scream my head off at the TV. Life goes on. Live in the moment.

Sorry to hear about your rabbit . . .

sorry to hear AP. I like animals...most more than i like peoples. Even since I was 13 and my sister and her boyfriend pawned my drumset I have subscribed to the life philosophy of "Can't Have Nice Things"...and it works pretty well for me. I dont worry about "things", be that having them or not having them. I worry about Karma....for real.

See that succsessful guys cell phone? thats so 1994.

I sent that picture to my son. He called on his way home and said he was trying to be unsuccessful...

Reactions: tfdchief
I'm convinced the key to good living is moderation. BeGreen & Webbie know all about this

sorry to hear AP. I like animals...most more than i like peoples. Even since I was 13 and my sister and her boyfriend pawned my drumset I have subscribed to the life philosophy of "Can't Have Nice Things"...and it works pretty well for me. I dont worry about "things", be that having them or not having them. I worry about Karma....for real.

See that succsessful guys cell phone? thats so 1994.

I read this and found it quite interesting . . . my wife grew up in a home where they had very little . . . I mean it was pretty bad and then she moved in with her father who was a successful engineer . . . but this is her story to tell, not mine . . . the thing I find interesting is that she has the same philosophy of you -- things mean very little to her. She has never been the type of person who needs lots of clothes (heck, she still darns holes in her socks) . . . and while she doesn't mind a few luxuries (pool, hot tub, AC) she has told me that if she lost all those things tomorrow she still would be OK with that.

In contrast her older sister has always been about keeping up with the Jones . . . I definitely ended up with the better sister.

I grew up having most of the stuff we needed and a couple things that we wanted. In fact, it wasn't until I was in my 30s that I realized that my family may even have been poor. I was OK with that, but my sister hated it and was embarrassed by it. While I do have some toys and some luxuries, I still don't need much. I have a bunch of stuff that I am attached to, but it is mostly tools that I use to live more cheaply and more self sufficiently anyway.

Reactions: Thistle
I have found that there can be a balance of both worlds if you are a personality that will allow it. By day, I am a milder version of the top pic and by night and weekends and am the guy in the bottom pic. Moderation. Staring at a screen all day makes me want to work with my hands at night.

Stuff? Oh, I gotz stuff. Lots of stuff, but very little of it means a heck of a lot. Its all just tools to allow me to do the things I enjoy. Nothing gets free rent if it doesn't serve a purpose. There are a couple of things that DO mean a lot to me (cabin, fishing boat, and a couple others), but again, that is just to allow me to do the things I love.

Less is more, unless having "it" makes it easier to do the things you like to do.

Stuff? Oh, I gotz stuff. Lots of stuff, but very little of it means a heck of a lot. Its all just tools to allow me to do the things I enjoy. Nothing gets free rent if it doesn't serve a purpose. There are a couple of things that DO mean a lot to me (cabin, fishing boat, and a couple others), but again, that is just to allow me to do the things I love.

I know what you mean. I do have a few toys- mostly tools. A potter was laughing at my kiln because I wasn't a pro at the time and I went all out on it. I told him "I live in NH and don't have a motorcycle- I have to spend my money on something" (we have the most motorcycles per capita).

However- a few bucks can keep me entertained for hours. Here's a thing I'm working on- using less than $10 in tools, and maybe $7 in clay, probably put 12 hours work into it before it's done (put 2 hours into the teddy bear and raygun alone). That's cheap entertainment

538822_381887611856402_108145139230652_1142051_171624506_n.jpg

Reactions: Jags
Although I have to be a bit of the successful guy in my job, it means little to me. I am most content at home. I value little except my health and my family and their well being. I wish for little else. The rest I can manage to live with or without and be happy. Few things give me greater pleasure than the simple warmth of a fire under my dry and secure roof. And Adios Pantalones, sorry about your rabbit. My dog ranks right in front of the warmth of a fire of the things that give me pleasure. There are only a few humans that mean more to me than my Oggie, and no one means more to her than me;) Can't put a price on that IMO. Chief

I am going with the combo thing like Jagsy.
I have overcome my jewelry sickness....ok...addiction. I still wear it but do not buy it.....
Doesn't make me a bad person...nah....just a goof.
crazy1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.