Intrepid II Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwehme09

Sep 7, 2011
Northern N.H.
I recently bought an Intrepid II 1303. It's in decent shape, but does need some work. I've already found a ton of great info in these forums (thank you!) but there are so issues I have yet to see specifically covered. Any advice on any of these issues listed below would be appreciated.

The front of the grate is cracked but I don't suspect this will cause a performance issue (?)

The throat hood is pretty beat up. I have seen that it isn't expensive to replace, but I am wondering if it will cause an issues as is (see picture).

The refectory assembly certainly doesn't look new (see photos). You can see the tubes have had a bit taken out of them. Big issue? It's an expensive repair. I'd like to wait a season before diving into that.

The catalyst looks good. No clogs, only a few compromised cells. Do people agree? (see photo).

I can't find the gasket sizes online. It looks like it is almost all 1/4" but does anyone know where it uses 5/16"? I don't want to gasket just the doors, etc. but also the flu collar, access panel in the back, etc.

And finally the slightly more urgent issue. The upper fireback doesn't seem to fit in place quite correctly on the left hand side. I don't THINK it's an issue with my gasket. Trying to snug it into place with the bolt and clam I snapped the clamp (one step forward, two steps back, UGH). So now I need to replace the clamp. Many of the parts diagrams I have found are tough to read, but the diagrams describe the clamps as "lower fireback clamps," even though they clearly clamp the upper fireback. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't want to order the wrong parts. You can see the clamps (unbroken), in one of the pictures.

Thanks,

Keith

Attachments

• 090711-Woodstove-7-5.jpg
    090711-Woodstove-7-5.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 4,373
  • 090711-Woodstove-7-2.jpg
    090711-Woodstove-7-2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 090711-Woodstove-7-4.jpg
    090711-Woodstove-7-4.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • 090711-Woodstove-7.jpg
    090711-Woodstove-7.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,168
This place has the best prices I've found for VC parts and supplies (apart from Ebay, which is hit or miss)
http://www.blackswanhome.com/intrepid-ii-1303.html

I have my 1303 dissembled to have it sand blasted and repainted as I am selling it this winter. I'll take a look at the fireback and see how it fits in. It is a bit of a pain to get it seated in properly at times.

Thank you. I had been been to Blackswan, but didn't see the fireback clamp available. I am going to try calling them soon.

Anyone else have input?

The Catalytic Assembly looks pretty beat up. I'd Replace if it were me. Some would replace the catalyst as well. I'd buy one now just in case it gets a lot worse during the winter.

The stove has seen better days. What would be the total cost for refractory, cat and fireback replacement?

BeGreen said:
The stove has seen better days. What would be the total cost for refractory, cat and fireback replacement?

About $320 if he doesn't need the entire fireback and just the scope that is shown. And another $20-ish dollars if the other part of the fireback is needed.

OK, that's not so bad for a full rebuild with a fresh cat. It's much better than I thought it would be.

It does look sort of beat up but if that is all it takes to fix it that is not bad. As for the cat, I've seen much worse and they still work fine. It will all depend upon the wood you run through the stove as to how long it will last.

The front of the grate is cracked but I don't suspect this will cause a performance issue (?)
Grate, meaning the bottom piece that sits above the ashpan? A crack is no problem....mine is cracked but no problems

The throat hood is pretty beat up. I have seen that it isn't expensive to replace, but I am wondering if it will cause an issues as is (see picture).
Definitely replace the throat hood. It helps protect your cat from direct flame contact from the fire, which decreases cat life. I replaced mine about a year ago...it had similar but less severe erosion. The only issue was the new fit slightly more loose....there was a bit more space around the tab parts at each end of the hood.

The refectory assembly certainly doesn't look new (see photos). You can see the tubes have had a bit taken out of them. Big issue? It's an expensive repair. I'd like to wait a season before diving into that.
The eroded areas in the picture should not affect performance. Make sure you still have the small removable rectangular piece of chamber that covers the cat access in the back. I would also remove and check the secondary air thermostat probe in the back. You'll probably find that it's an eroded little stub. Replace that too and verify that the little metal air shutter back there is operating correctly

The catalyst looks good. No clogs, only a few compromised cells. Do people agree? (see photo).
Given the cracks and destroyed throat hood, I doubt the cat is any good. The only way to be sure is by operating the stove. If you can afford it, buy a new one and keep this one as a spare

I can't find the gasket sizes online. It looks like it is almost all 1/4" but does anyone know where it uses 5/16"? I don't want to gasket just the doors, etc. but also the flu collar, access panel in the back, etc.
Get the manual. I think VC still has the 1990 manual available, which is a similar stove. It explains a lot about the gaskets. Griddle and doors are 5/16". I've never replaced any of the permanent gaskets (at non-moving parts, such as the flue-collar)but the manual also says those are 5/16" Try Mcmaster Carr online for gaskets...they sell gasket by the foot very inexpensively. Note that the 1303 has double pane glass...those use special small wire gasket between them, and then smaller gasket at the cast iron.

And finally the slightly more urgent issue. The upper fireback doesn't seem to fit in place quite correctly on the left hand side. I don't THINK it's an issue with my gasket. Trying to snug it into place with the bolt and clam I snapped the clamp (one step forward, two steps back, UGH). So now I need to replace the clamp. Many of the parts diagrams I have found are tough to read, but the diagrams describe the clamps as "lower fireback clamps," even though they clearly clamp the upper fireback. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't want to order the wrong parts. You can see the clamps (unbroken), in one of the pictures.
Upper section of fireback is held in place by little L-shaped tabs that thread to acorn nuts on back of stove. Lower fireback is held by the big wing-nut type thingys. The best way to get all the lower, upper and throat hood in place is to loosely fit it all together with the fasteners only loosely secured. Then wiggle and jiggle until everything slips in place. Then snug up fasteners

Other advice: If the stove has been moved by tilting while grasping/lifting from any openings, it's likely the seals between the major castings have broken. I'd considering breaking down the stove entirely and rebuilding to ensure that all the seams are airtight. Read all the threads on here, esp. about the hole that develops inside the back right corner firebox tie rod and primary air shutter. You should not see daylight from inside the firebox out to that corner. Check to make sure your door glass is snug and gaskets in place...don't overtighten retaining clips.
Good Luck.

Reactions: babolu333
I'm finding this thread very helpful as i just bought a used VC Intrepid II Model 1303. It's from 1987 I'm pretty sure. I was wondering if anyone knows or can make an educated guess about the similarities between the older model (1303) Intrepid II and the newer model (1990). Someone mentioned that the manual for the 1990 is available and I have found it on the VC website,. I'm curious to know if this manual would still apply to the older model stove.

I've sent a message to VC and got an auto reply that they would get back to me in 3 days, but I wanted to ask here anyways. I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to call me since they don't even have a phone number listed on their website.

thanks for any help!

The older manual does not apply to the 1303 version. Use the 1990 manual for installation clearances and operation. The 1303 has double pane glass in the doors and access to the cat is by removing a screwed-on cover from the back of the stove. The 1990 version uses single pane door glass and access to the cat is by removing parts from within the firebox.
Many stove parts websites have exploded parts diagrams for the 1303. It can be helpful for understanding the cat access and other issues with this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.