Intrepid II warped damper housing fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothing Like Wood

Nov 2, 2014
Maine
Just joined and this is my first post. I have an Intrepid II model 2070 that I was reasonably satisfied with for many years until my housesitter apparently overfired it, causing the damper housing to warp and crack. This created a large space between it and the throat hood. So the stove runs too hot, burns through too much wood, and can't be shut down into an efficient burn mode. I don't want to put much money into either it or another stove because I'm not sure where I'm going to be living after this winter. Can anyone think of a "stop-gap" (literally) solution? What about installing a regular old-fashioned damper in the stovepipe and just running it like a non-airtight stove for this season? (I'm aware of the smoke emissions, but have to weigh all the different factors.) Even if that didn't trigger the catalytic combustion, wouldn't it slow the burn considerably? Thanks for any suggestions.

Just joined and this is my first post. I have an Intrepid II model 2070 that I was reasonably satisfied with for many years until my housesitter apparently overfired it, causing the damper housing to warp and crack. This created a large space between it and the throat hood. So the stove runs too hot, burns through too much wood, and can't be shut down into an efficient burn mode. I don't want to put much money into either it or another stove because I'm not sure where I'm going to be living after this winter. Can anyone think of a "stop-gap" (literally) solution? What about installing a regular old-fashioned damper in the stovepipe and just running it like a non-airtight stove for this season? (I'm aware of the smoke emissions, but have to weigh all the different factors.) Even if that didn't trigger the catalytic combustion, wouldn't it slow the burn considerably? Thanks for any suggestions.

Stop gap? Dude, it's FIRE. FIRE will HEAT your house or EAT your house. It doesn't care. Fix the stove the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.