Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swatcommander

Apr 1, 2015
Indianapolis
I picked this stove up off Craigslist for 25.00. I knocked the rust off and repainted following two days of curing with progressively hotter fires.

Intrep 1.jpg Intrep 2.jpg Intrep 3.jpg Intrep 4.jpg Intrep 7.jpg Intrpe 6.jpg Intrep 5.jpg Intrep 8.jpg int1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jags and Grisu
Wow, looking at the final product that is really an awesome job. I would have said that is a lost cause judging from the first pic. Happy burning! :)

Reactions: swatcommander
Nicely done, it looks great. Did you need to do any internal work to the stove as well?

Thank you, and no.

Internally the stove appeared to be sound and taken care of. The woman I purchased it from told me the stove was resealed a couple of years ago, and they replaced all the doors seals etc. Upon moving the stove and taking off the doors, griddle. I observed all the seals looked new. She told me they had single wall stove pipe ran to the roof and her insurance company would not insure her, the reason she was selling it. The catalytic Combustor looked good too. I cleaned the two glass panel window inserts and vacuumed it out very well. When I fired the stove for the first cure no smoke escaped.

I purchased a Vigilant off of Craigslist or rather traded some old power tools for it back in April. I completely dissembled that stove with plans to rebuild it then I came across this stove. My new plan is to rebuild the Vigilant in my garage this winter.

I'd say you got your money's worth, and then some.

Reactions: swatcommander
Status
Not open for further replies.